D750. Setup Menu missing Location Data function

michael_sager1

<p>I played around with my D750 for a little while but could not get the location data menu item to gray out from inside the Setup Menu. I have no GPS connected and I have tried removing the lens and memory cards.</p>

<p>However, I can get the Wi-Fi menu to gray out if I remove both memory cards.</p>

<p>The OP's issue could still be the result of some setting. But I would first insert a freshly charged EN-EL15 battery. I understand that some menu items could gray out if the battery weak. Speaking of the battery, are you using a genuine Nikon EN-EL15?</p>

<p>If you haven't made a lot of changes, two button reset to factory specs? I don't have or want GPS, but on my D 750 the Location is there and not grayed out. If I select it with right arrow, Position is grayed out between Standby timer and Set clock from satellite. Had GPS on a work camera, thought it would be useful -- really wasn't at all for the intended use of being able to position identically for follow up photos. Too time consuming -- proved easier to ID / save locations with regular GPS. Good Luck with it!</p>

<p>Shun. Thanks. Interesting, but my problem is getting anything, grey or bold.<br>

Sandy. Did 2 button reset and also re-update of firmware without good result.<br>

Current theory is that the GPS electronics in the camera are faulty so firmware does not pick up the Location data option. Will take it to dealer. Unfortunately 1.5 hours drive - was hoping for an easy fix at home!</p>

<p>The D750 depends on an external GPS unit, e.g. Nikon GP-1 or GP-1A. I bought my D750 is December 2014, but I didn't use any GPS on it for several months. It turns out that feature didn't work on my particular camera. Even though I physically connected a GP-1, the D750 could not detect it. I think the connection to any external GPS unit was faulty. Nikon USA fixed it under warranty.</p>

<p>I don't think there is any internal GPS electronics inside the D750. Again, the LOCATION DATA menu item shows up on my D750 even though there is no external GPS connected.</p>

<p>Michael, is your D750 new? Could you double check the firmware version, also in the Setup Menu. Mine has:</p>

<ul>

<li>C 1.10</li>

<li>L 2.009</li>

</ul>

<p>I know the D750 has no GPS. It requires an external one, which I have. BUT.........it should have the option for Location data in the Setup menu. There is a photo of it in the D750 manual page 236 top right. This line is what I do not have.<br>

I have C1.10 and L 2.009. <br>

But it seems to me that there must be some kind electronic connection from the port. If the port is bad, then maybe this is why I have no Location data function?<br>

Shun. When you had a bad connection, did you see this option in the Setup menu?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Shun. When you had a bad connection, did you see this option in the Setup menu?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you expect me to remember exactly which items were on my D750's Setup Menu two years ago? :-)</p>

<p>Do you have access to any Nikon GPS, such as the GP-1 or GP-1A? I would plug one into your D750 and see whether that menu item would appear. I assume that a compatible third-party GPS unit would work as well.</p>

<p>Thx for replying. I hoped that you might have remembered from trying to make it work. Anyway I have now tried 2 3rd party GPS units without success. Still the problem is that this line should always appear in the Setup menu. The only difference is that it appears differently with or without a GPS unit plugged in.</p>

<p>Erik, as I mentioned earlier, currently I have no GPS connected to my D750, but yet it is showing the LOCATION DATA Setup Menu item, but of course previously I have connected my GP-1A to that D750. What I am not sure about is whether you need to connect a GP-1 or 1A at least once to a D750 for "LOCATION DATA" to appear on the menu.</p>

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Have you found any solution to your problem? I'm experiencing exactly the same issue :(

I went to Nikon store, where they sad, that my camera has Asian regional settings, which doesn't allow GPS. Technically they could change this, but they aren't allowed to do this

> might be something about this:

Oh. Yes, it appears so. Why can't we all just get along?

For what it's worth, I've had related issues trying to use Google Maps in South Korea (for work): Constraining online maps: The case of South Korea | Ogle Earth Makes it very annoying to find my way around. There are workarounds, and at least it works a bit, though, which sounds better than the Chinese situation.