james_b.1

I have an absolute requirement to store individual prints (usually

4x6) with the corresponding negative. There is no way to store the

negative strip or roll with the print. I have to cut the individual

negative. I know generally why we don't cut the negatives, but was

wondering if anyone could explain what the actual problems with this

are if it is necessary to take the negative to a lab for printing

again. Your comments would be helpful. Thanks Jim Baxter

If this is a self-imposed requirement, then you should get over it.

The machines are designed to deal with a STRIP of negatives. A single frame is difficult to feed, difficult to align, and difficult to keep from being consumed entire.

Why on earth don't you just use a standard old sheet of 3-ring-punched, 4x6 print protector, and put your strip of four negatives in the fifth pocket?

The easiest way to handle individual negative frames, right down the 110 size, is on a glass carrier such as the types used by Durst.

And that ain't easy. The procedure is akin to carefully aligning a print or sheet of paper on a flatbed scanner or copier and hoping it stays aligned as the lid is shut. Even if a lab could handle individual frames they'll probably charge extra handling fees.

OTOH, labs can be so fickle. Give 'em a full strip and they'll want to cut it into separate frames. Who knows?

You can buy photo albums with individual pockets for almost any size prints. Stick the print and negative together into the pocket. Easy but not necessarily the best way to treat a negative. Paper can absorb environmental contaminants (including acids and oils from normal handling), deteriorate much more rapidly than negatives, and pass along those problems to the negatives stored in the same pouch.

So, ideally, if you must store individual negative frames with corresponding prints, plan on buying some small pouches to protect the negatives. Tiny ziplock bags are made for storing all kinds of collectibles and would probably be suitable for negatives.

Sounds like a lot of trouble tho'.

The big problem is that film tends to curl and some film more than others. Take that with a thin 35 mm neg, cut the neg and you'll have curling. Curling is a major PITA when printing. It's not that bad if you print one of the middle negs of a 6-frame 35 mm strip (curling for larger formats is no usually that bad), but it can become a problem and having cut the negs into single frames is asking for trouble.

You could always shoot 4x5", though, it already comes in single frame sheets ;)

Some labs won't print single frames at all. Even if you do it manually, the cut edges of the neg typically poke through the hole in the carrier, resulting in more curl and bad focus. A glass carrier is the answer, but the dust problems are well known. Using glass carriers is more time consuming, so the cost may be higher. It's also easier to drop and damage single frames than a strip. OTOH, if you're forced to do this, it's not the end of the world. Just do it and live with the consequences. One untried thought- maybe mount the individual frames in slide mounts for easier handling. This depends on where you'll have them printed- the lab has to be able to handle the mounts or you're out of luck.

<p>

West Coast Imaging REQUIRES you to cut your strips:

</p>

<blockquote>

...please trim out the individual frame we need to scan. It is easier and less clumsy to mount, which reduces the chance of damaging your film.

If we receive a strip of film, we will contact you to see if we can trim out the individual frame you need us to scan.

</blockquote>

<p>

I like the suggestion above to store the strips in the last pocket of a print file. I have a couple of single image 35mm negatives and I have a hard time scanning them with my desktop scanner, mostly because of the curl.

</p>