Creation of commerce.

pavel_l.

I don't know. Without the Title, the pun is not obvious from just the image. (As Mike says, an actual touch would have been nice). Maybe a tight crop would help a bunch. I find myself struggling to read the sign, which has nothing to do with the pun. The washed out overall exposure bothers. With a tight crop, you could get the exposure level ideal on the man and woman, without washing out the unneeded rest of the image.
  • Like 1

Hi @pavel_l. Good on your for spotting (and photographing) this pun on the creation of adam! I don't know what camera you use but a 'burst mode' would have meet made the 'meeting of hands' even better. Still a great attempt. I would prefer color though since Michelangelo didn't use B&W :)

Thank you Mike.

I was using folder Super Ikonta bx, unfortunately, there is no burst mode. I did not try to reproduce the classics.

Cheers.

I don't know. Without the Title, the pun is not obvious from just the image. (As Mike says, an actual touch would have been nice). Maybe a tight crop would help a bunch. I find myself struggling to read the sign, which has nothing to do with the pun. The washed out overall exposure bothers. With a tight crop, you could get the exposure level ideal on the man and woman, without washing out the unneeded rest of the image.

Thank you dcstep. I kind of puzzled nonacceptance of fact that photo may/should have the Title. I agree that sign could be losslessly cropped. I did try to adjust the contrast and I lost the man's face. I just like to see details on my photos.

Cheers.

• Like 1

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Pavel, I'm a bit late to this party. If this were my photo, I'd fix it as follows: (1) very slight dodging on the faces of the men staffing the stand; (2) sharpen (the entire image); (3) selectively sharpen the sign; and (4) add contrast to the sign by dodging and burning as needed. One last thought: If you expand the size of the canvas along all 4 borders, you could add a slight black vignette. I hope this helps.

Burst mode or better timing might very well have caught their fingertips almost touching. This still would not have made a visual reference to the Sistine Chapel other than the way in which many instances of two fingers almost coming together would make a negligible reference to it. The timing of how close two fingers are among two people would be important if there’s something else about the gesture or shot that has significance. Since the scene and the way it’s photographed don't offer much, how close the fingers are to each other seems of minor consequence. I do appreciate the retention of detail on the man’s face, given the shadow he’s under. It’s too bad there’s not an expression on it that means something to me. If one wanted more contrast without darkening the man's face, there are many ways to achieve that, given decent post processing software and a selective approach.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Pavel, I'm a bit late to this party. If this were my photo, I'd fix it as follows: (1) very slight dodging on the faces of the men staffing the stand; (2) sharpen (the entire image); (3) selectively sharpen the sign; and (4) add contrast to the sign by dodging and burning as needed. One last thought: If you expand the size of the canvas along all 4 borders, you could add a slight black vignette. I hope this helps.

Thank you Michael. I'll give it a try.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Chris Frith.

Burst mode or better timing might very well have caught their fingertips almost touching. This still would not have made a visual reference to the Sistine Chapel other than the way in which many instances of two fingers almost coming together would make a negligible reference to it. The timing of how close two fingers are among two people would be important if there’s something else about the gesture or shot that has significance. Since the scene and the way it’s photographed don't offer much, how close the fingers are to each other seems of minor consequence. I do appreciate the retention of detail on the man’s face, given the shadow he’s under. It’s too bad there’s not an expression on it that means something to me. If one wanted more contrast without darkening the man's face, there are many ways to achieve that, given decent post processing software and a selective approach.

Thank you Sam.

I do not think that direct touch will bring more meaning to the photo. I see the parallel between of two gestures of giving life to Adam and an exchange of a product for money as symbols of the genesis.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Chris Frith.

Without the title I would never make any connection to the Sistine chapel. Even with the title this is still a rather ordinary photo of someone buying a hotdog. Unless this is an advert for the vendors cart ,the sign is not needed. Coming in tighter to the gesture may have propped up the rather dubious reference a bit more. The tones are murky and could use some work. This is a perfectly fine photo of a hot dog cart, well framed and in focus.
  • Like 2

I agree with Gordon mostly, and do think, a tighter crop of only the two people involved in the narration would have better served the photographer’s POV. Including the whole cart, and the other figures seem superfluous and distracting. However, I recommend leaving a part of the banner in a cropped composition to complete the humor. Also if the hotdog could be somehow highlighted, it would be even better.

The only trigger here to connect to Michaelangelo is the gesture of the two hands and unless one is actively thinking of the renaissance image (e.g. just finished visiting Sistine chapel), that cue gets lost among the many other elements in the photo that have no relation to the iconic mural. At the end, after reading the title and the ensuing discussion, I am left with the feeling of solving a visual puzzle in the newspaper inner pages, and feel less keen about putting on my spectacles of creative parody and humor that the photographer perhaps intended.

Without the title I would never make any connection to the Sistine chapel. Even with the title this is still a rather ordinary photo of someone buying a hotdog. Unless this is an advert for the vendors cart ,the sign is not needed. Coming in tighter to the gesture may have propped up the rather dubious reference a bit more. The tones are murky and could use some work. This is a perfectly fine photo of a hot dog cart, well framed and in focus.

Thank you Gordon. I did not to try to replicate the form of the level of the painting, this is about of meaning of gesture. I agree the sign should be cropped off.

Cheers.

Chris Frith.

I agree with Gordon mostly, and do think, a tighter crop of only the two people involved in the narration would have better served the photographer’s POV. Including the whole cart, and the other figures seem superfluous and distracting. However, I recommend leaving a part of the banner in a cropped composition to complete the humor. Also if the hotdog could be somehow highlighted, it would be even better.

The only trigger here to connect to Michaelangelo is the gesture of the two hands and unless one is actively thinking of the renaissance image (e.g. just finished visiting Sistine chapel), that cue gets lost among the many other elements in the photo that have no relation to the iconic mural. At the end, after reading the title and the ensuing discussion, I am left with the feeling of solving a visual puzzle in the newspaper inner pages, and feel less keen about putting on my spectacles of creative parody and humor that the photographer perhaps intended.

Thank you Supriyo. I disagree that cropping of two figures will be beneficial - they do not do their own business that could be a considered as distraction, those two men are looking directly at what happening between the main characters.

I agree that including the lower part of banner will introduce some humor to the composition.

Cheers.

Chris Frith.

It lacks the drama that would be necessary for me to feel and see it's inspired by Michelangelo. It's associative rather than inspired by.

But this could be the seed for a larger grid-like series of photographs where you only show the reaching hands in such situations (but much closer together yet without ever touching).

Thank you Phil. I agree that word associating is the better choice.

Cheers.

Chris Frith.

It’s not the image in the photograph that’s great; what’s great about the picture is the fact that you saw and made the association. I’m not sure how many out of a hundred would have seen it, but once you see it and are made aware of it, it can’t be unseen. The photograph is still successful as a means towards a process and a way of seeing, even though the image of it doesn’t invite or merit looking into it.

Thank you Phil.

Chris Frith.