Crawl, Walk then Run (Wedding Photography)

wade_thompson1

<p>Although I hesitate sometimes to post here since I've seen the bad treatment from some of the posters for first-time wedding photographers, I still will post this because I think I have a question that even the most experienced wedding photographer can answer for me.<br /> BACKGROUND: I am shooting my first wedding in June..... and am really looking forward to it. My 8-year photography background has been mainly event photography (baptisms, high profile fund raisers, etc.), professional sports photography (newspapers and online website sales for marathons, etc.), and then outdoor family portraits.<br /> That having been said, I have been reluctant to pursue shooting a wedding because of lack of experience and lack of time since I have a full-time regular job.<br /> Anyway, I feel comfortable with shooting this first wedding from the technical and creative aspects, but am a little uncomfortable with managing the flow of people with the posing of the formal pictures and with simply missing something really important in the flow of special things (since I barely paid attention to the sequence of events at my own wedding! LOL!).<br /> So... I think it's just nerves and the desire to make the couple very happy that is making me pause ... but I think once everything begins, my natural instincts will kick in. The bride approached me having seen some photos on my website of another event. So, as a photographer... I can crawl and I can walk... but now I want to "run" as a wedding photographer.<br /> <br /> What I want to know from YOU... is what you think is the #1 important thing that I should keep in the back of my mind when I shoot this event. In other words, when you actually shot YOUR FIRST WEDDING, what was the one thing that you wished you had known or done that you missed...and then remembered to correct at your second wedding shoot.<br>

<br />Thanks in advance... wonderful forum.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not sure what your question is? Your uncomfortable with the posing of formals and with missing something really important during the party. Well that is pretty much the whole wedding right there....If you can't do that then you should not shoot the wedding. You also want to know what I think the #1 important thing you should keep in the back of your head when shooting the event. Well you will have to fudge through learning how to pose or direct people for formal pictures, that I can not help you with. Missing something at a wedding can be overcome by just paying attention every minute and not taking a break. You will want to have communication with the couple to find out what they want and is most important to them which will be basically everything. The number one thing you should keep in the back of your mind is treat the bride and groom as if they were your own family and capture every photo opportunity that you would want a photographer to capture at your wedding. The moment you disconnect and treat this as a job then that is when you get sloppy and miss things. Taking pictures is just a part of what you need to do as a wedding photographer.</p>

<p>Definitely have a timeline, and go over it thoroughly with your couple before the wedding. Also have a formals shot list that the couple provides you that lists the names of people who must be in a formal photo. Have a realistic idea of how long things will take (ie is the ceremony 45 or 10 mins long? how much time will you need for formals?). HAVE A CONTRACT. <br /><br />When a newbie wedding photog asks for help, those are usually the issues that were not thought through prior to the wedding. <br /><br />As for thinking back on my very first wedding, I'd say the biggest thing I needed to work on was how FAST things go and that there is no time to fiddle with settings to get your ideal artistic photo. What helped me was knowing what was going to happen next, so I could go over there a few mins ahead of time to get my settings right.</p>

<p>Wade:</p>

<p>I believe we're in similar situations--we both have a fair amount of pro-level shooting experience, but no actual wedding experience to speak of. I'm about to get my first wedding client as well (though, the date isn't even set yet). In preparation, I've been testing my gear under virtually every setting a typical wedding photographer is likely to encounter:</p>

<p>• Flash-fired "event-style" photography (e.g., procession/recession).<br>

• Ultra-low light, available-light only (e.g., ceremony).<br>

• Balancing ambient with strobe/dragging the shutter (e.g., reception).<br>

• Extreme daylight (e.g., group formals).</p>

<p>The last situation (extreme daylight), I field-tested last weekend. Shooting a bikini catalog on spec, me and two assistants dragged a ton of gear to a remote location on a beach, and shot in harsh, direct-sun. I brought plenty of gear to accommodate the light level (1,000Ws strobe/1,200-Watt inverter, etc.). Shooting tests in my backyard is one thing, but shooting with strangers under severe time-constraints ratcheted up the requisite "real-world" pressure quite a bit. The stylist was an hour late. The model, two hours late. Even though these were basically very elaborate "tests" (we're re-shooting with a professional model next time), I brought the same caliber of performance and professional service any paying client would expect.</p>

<p>So, back to the beach . . . the first test exposures immediately rattled me--I wasn't getting what I was expecting to get--I had to think fast to "correct" the kinks in my technique (I was juggling <em>six</em> exposure variables in my head!). We basically had only 90 minutes of daylight to shoot a ton of wardrobe changes, each with multiple angles. Needless to say, I was pretty stressed the entire time. Luckily, I'm used to directing on-camera talent (plus, I only had the single subject), so that came pretty easily. The hardest part seemed to just remain calm enough to work through my technique, and have a level-enough head to troubleshoot any technical glitches in a logical, efficient manner. Yes, I was treading water the entire time, but apparently I fooled both the "client" and my crew--their perception of my performance was almost completely opposite of what I was really feeling inside.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am shooting <strong><em>my first wedding</em></strong> in June... My <em><strong>8-year photography background</strong></em> has been mainly event photography (baptisms, high profile fund raisers, etc.), professional sports photography (newspapers and online website sales for marathons, etc.), and then outdoor family portraits. . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

You seem to have a similar background and experience to Carl Smith, (a pseudonym), who started this thread below; it is probably worthwhile you having a read of his/her experience:<br>

<a href="/wedding-photography-forum/00bsPR">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00bsPR</a><br>

<br>

*** <br /> <br /> </p>

<blockquote>

<p> . . . what you think is the <strong><em>#1 important thing that I should keep in the back of my mind when I shoot this event.</em></strong> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am answering to you only and not a general answer to everyone who will shoot their first Wedding:<br>

To be pre-emptive. <br>

To be certain that you are in the correct vantage point (camera position) for the next shot. Similar to shooting field sports, a good Wedding Photographer is s few seconds ahead of where the ball is about to be played. Obviously to do that, you need to know the plays as the day progresses. <br>

<br>

***</p>

<blockquote>

<p> <br>

In other words, when you actually shot <strong><em>YOUR FIRST WEDDING, what was the one thing that you wished you had known</em></strong> or done that you missed...and then remembered to correct at your second wedding shoot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

That’s actually a different question and not ‘<em>in other words</em>’. The fact that is a different question hopefully will underscore the emphasis I place on the importance of the answer: <br>

To have been far better and more experienced at People Management.<br>

<br>

WW<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Ralph, I am somewhat fortunate since the wedding ceremony itself will be outdoors in the evening with some large trees blocking the direct harsh sunlight. Flash fill light from a couple of speedlights should do it. Good luck to you! Getting that first one under the belt, just like anything else, is the hardest part.</p>

<p>On my first wedding I did not take anything to drink with me. By mid-day (hot summer), I felt that I'm about to pass out from dehydration. I had to ask groomsmen to give me a can of beer (that was the lowest alcohol content beverage they had) - to which they obliged with broad smiles. Lesson: always take drink and food with you to a wedding.</p>

Weddings throughout the day can get out of sync and certain parts can move very fast, before you're really ready. Just

weird stuff happens and everything in that particular sequence starts happening now, very fast.

So my suggestion is keep things simple and uncluttered and BE READY to shoot.

I used to see photogs with all kinds of equipment fiddling and diddling not really ready. Have a good camera a

wide/normal zoom on and a flash with like a Gary Fong collapse hood ready to go right away, all set. Whatever else you

use is up to you, but have your basic rig ready. Cheers!

<p>Since you'll be having a second, sync your times on your cameras. That will make post-processing easier. As for the # of photos to deliver, that really depends on your style, your clients' expectations, and how long the wedding is. To give you a rough idea, I average about 1500 photos as a solo shooter and deliver around 500 photos for an 8 hour wedding. I definitely do not spray-and-pray, but I like to photograph scenes at many vantage points and angles, I will take 2-3 photos of each formal photo (because there's always one person who blinks) and I take a horizontal and vertical shot of many things which helps a lot for album design.</p>

<p>1. Follow the bride.</p>

<p>2. Ensure that you are ALWAYS exposing and focusing accurately.</p>

<p>3. Keep yourself hydrated - it's a long day.</p>

<p>4. Don't try to set up complicated lighting configurations if you don't have time (you probably won't). The simpler your setup, the more quickly you'll be able to react to events as they unfold. Ditto switching lenses too often.</p>

<p>5. Remember that every moment happens once and only once. Don't expect to have ANY downtime if you're shooting by yourself.</p>

<p>6. Remember that this is (a) a sacred occasion, (b) a once in a lifetime event for a family, and © that your photos need to stand the test of time. Avoid clever poses and fad techniques. </p>

<p>7. If there are to be posed formals, ask whether a friend or family member can be made available to marshall the people into position when you need them, i.e. someone who knows who the people are, who should be photographed together, and who is likely to get caught up in a conversation elsewhere when you need them to be in front of your camera.</p>

<p>Wade you can't deliver 200 images for an 8hr period of time. The bride would be very disappointed. I average about 200 images an hour then edit it down to half or better. I always tell people they can expect around 600 images for 8hrs unless of course the party is dead. Sometimes they get a little more but 200 is not realistic. I had always brought home around 1,400 for a long time until I started shooting with two cameras and now that number rose to 2,000.</p>

<p>Good advise from everyone and may I add don't be afraid to over shoot when something is happening. Don't chimp ever shot cause you will miss something. shoot more and edit later. When people are giving speeches over shoot cause it is hard to get a flattering picture of someone speaking in the first shot. Again I can't stress not to be afraid to keep taking pictures when something is happening. Nothing is worse than getting home to realize the one or two shots you took are not usable and you could have taken 5 or 10 more to insure a perfect shot. Lastly my even bigger advice is not to drag the shutter during candids as you will almost always get movement on the best shots. I don't care how many award winning photographers say they drag the shutter don't do it. It is better to have an underexposed sharp picture than a perfectly exposed picture that is blurred. I personally shoot candids at 200 sec when not using flash. When I use flash it can vary a bit but I try not to go below 125 but when there is fast moving subjects or bright video or led lights then I am back to 200 sec.</p>

<p>Ditto to a lot of what was said here, especially the notes about shooting too much and paring down, and <em>very </em>especially about being pre-emptive. Do not be afraid to ask the bride too many questions about the timeline. Asking questions won't make you look unprofessional or like you don't know what you are doing. NOT asking them and then making incorrect assumptions <em>will</em>. Some of these have been stated, I am re-stating them because they are important.</p>

<p>1) Information is power. There is no "the usual" with weddings - it's different for everyone. Nail the couple down on what they want, who they want photographed, when, and where.<br /> 2) Be familiar with the locations, and the timeline. If the couple walks down the aisle after they are wed, then look at you and say "What now?" you had best have that answer ready. <br /> 3) Do not allow yourself to be surprised by anything. This ties in to "Be pre-emptive" as well. <br /> 4) Hydrate and feed yourself. Nothing makes wedding photography more difficult than a dehydration headache.<br /> 5) Be funny, light, positive, and reassuring. The more happy and at ease your couple is, the better your photographs are going to be, because they'll look happy and at ease. They'll remember you helped keep them that way, too. Your positive attitude will have a huge impact on the wedding day.<br /> 6) Compose too much room around the subject and whittle it down later. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.<br /> 7) Be ready with things they need such as tissue, safety pins, a lighter, a small sewing kit, good bobby pins, things like that. Help them remember what they need, such as rings, vows, ties, shoes, flowers, candles, etc.<br /> 8) Remember the important people. Family is important, bridal party is important. They will not tell you to photograph them because they'll assume you know they're important people.<br />9) Remember the boring table in the back. <br />10) Capture the young and the old. Children and elderly are good to pay attention to, because you're really capturing their moment in time. We don't change all <em>that</em> much from our 20's to our 60's. Anyone on the outside of that range should be sure to be photographed.</p>

<p>This is the tip of a rather large iceberg. Have fun. Know everything going in. Everything.</p>

<p>Wade, to answer your question, the one thing which would be going through my head would be "what if?": </p>

<p>What if the bride is running late? How will that impact upon the timeline and the photography? You will be blamed for these missed shots.<br>

What if there is an overenthusiastic Uncle Bob present who keeps getting in your way - how will you manage that? You will be blamed if he ruins your pictures, but never mind, the couple can have his instead.<br>

What if the bride wants to chat to her friends and doesn't want to come outside for the couple portraits? You will be blamed if these special pictures are missing.<br>

What if it rains all day?<br>

What if you get sick the day before the wedding - do you have someone suitably experienced who could stand in for you?<br>

What if you fail to deliver the kind of photographs the couple are expecting?</p>

<p>There are an awful lot of wedding newbies who have come to the forum wanting to be told what's what after they have agreed to photograph somebody's big day. Mostly they are woefully under-prepared in both experience, equipment, and the all-important contracts and other legalities It is understandable that the more experienced contributors here will point that out to them, whilst pointing out the possible consequences if things go wrong. Because that isn't what the newcomer wants to hear, we're told we're being unkind. Nothing could be further from the truth in fact. The main problem is that many people run before they can walk, or crawl even. Of course we all have to start somewhere, but before photographing any wedding we have to be prepared, and that means doing an awful lot of research, and making absolutely sure that we have set the couple's expectations accordingly. That means documenting everything from the number of hours you will attend, to how long it will take to deliver the pictures or finished products. It is also worth documenting your experience level. A wedding contract is a little different to other photography contracts so if I were you I would do some research on that as well, if you haven't already. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you. Please come back and let us know how it went, that can be helpful for others who are preparing for their first wedding. </p>

<p>Wade, I'll skip all the technical stuff. Shooting events aren't terribly different from weddings in that respect.</p>

<p>Communicating with the couple before hand is of paramount importance. The more that you connect with their personalities the better the outcome.</p>

<p>Ask the Bride for a timeline to determine how realistic it is. Many couples are simply too ambitious with the photography schedule, and if you agree with it, it is you who will be pressed to fulfill it … while you have to be fast, going too fast is a formula for sloppy work or missed shots. If you prioritize with the couple you will be working to the same set of expectations.</p>

<p>These days, 200 final shots from 8 hours of shooting with two photographers probably won't meet the client's expectations. They want all those images of friends and family … remember, this is the age of FB and Twitter, etc.</p>

<p>You can absorb posing techniques by doing a little research … clients expect you to set them up in a flattering manner and need your guidance when the time comes. It is VERY important to carve out time for the Bridal shots … all the family portraits can get time consuming, and then suddenly you have little time left to shoot the B&G and the Bride alone.</p>

<p><strong>To summarize:</strong></p>

<p>Control expectations.</p>

<p>Control the timing.</p>

<p>Control how the people look.</p>

<p>One last tip … when in doubt as to what to shoot, shoot the Bride … you can NEVER have enough pictures of the Queen : -)</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>