Considering the Contina

I've had this little camera along with several of it's kin for about five years and really never paid much attention to it, my interest in 35mm cameras being more orientated to the SLR genre. However, I came across a 75mm Pantar lens languishing in a back corner of a shelf of lenses, and realised that it was an accessory for the Contina cameras. One thing led to another and eventually I was out and about with the camera loaded with film and the lens ready for attachment. So, here's the camera, a rather beautiful Zeiss Ikon Contina-Matic III.

Contina.thumb.jpg.5b18f5a93a1dd30ca45ef919b380dd7a.jpg

The Contina-matic III was manufactured from 1959 to 1960, and was the top model in the quite large range of Contina cameras. It was fitted with an interchangeable 45mm Pantar f/2.8 lens in a Prontor SVS shutter, and featured a fully-coupled exposure meter. Also available were the 75mm Pantar f/4 lens I have and a 30mm Pantar f/4. The 30mm lens came with it's accessory finder, while the camera has bright lines for the 45mm and 75mm lenses. In common with the Contaflexes, the lenses actually detach from the camera leaving the rear group of elements installed, to be replaced by the new front group within the replacement lens. These are quite often referred to as "accessory " lenses but this is not the case; Zeiss aficionados are at pains to point out that all three lenses were designed as total optical systems that share the rear elements lodged within the camera.

It's hard to imagine a more jewel-like little camera. It's difficult to believe that this Contina is around 60 years old, so smooth and positive in all it's actions and still flawless in it's finish. The meter is still quick and accurate, the film wind silky smooth, the shutter accurate through it's range and practically inaudible in operation. The viewfinder is a vast improvement over the earlier Continas, being brighter and considerably larger, though there's no provision for parallax compensation. Lacking a rangefinder, focusing is a matter of guesstimate, though I assume many owners used one of the many accessory rangefinders available in that era. I'm reasonable competent at estimating distances with a standard lens, though things get a little trickier with longer lenses with their shallower depth of field. The standard Pantar is an excellent performer, with the typically crisp "Zeiss" look, the 30mm Pantar enjoys a good reputation while this 75mm Pantar is certainly worthy of the Zeiss name.

I shot just the one length of Arista EDU Ultra 100 which I developed in Pyrocat HD, and was unexpectedly impressed by the results. The images are my usual collection of locations, but shot in an eerily empty town, and I'll post a selection below, with the lenses noted. I had initially thought I might move this little collection on, but now I'm not so sure...

@ The Hub (45mm)

1687711500_@TheHub.thumb.jpg.571d44fdbdef1884e8e0004abfe9606d.jpg

Autumn Alfresco (70mm)

787688661_AutumAlfresco.thumb.jpg.0a387b7159349846a29c78d9e20dd179.jpg

Bench #1 (45mm)

1968628743_Bench1.thumb.jpg.27966ca3e11a56e19fa96f4123e2b7f4.jpg

From Above (45mm)

1515998141_FromAbove.thumb.jpg.3cc4ac5c0f12aabc490f1d650773f2b9.jpg

Birch (45mm)

Birch.thumb.jpg.1de1aee374cb1276c2761960c4505b31.jpg

Bench #3 (45mm)

577544428_Bench3.thumb.jpg.6ab653cc576f383d29a9d7471358bf35.jpg

Courtyard (75mm)

Courtyard.thumb.jpg.85eb506f79e8e96422477df950b60fd3.jpg

Socially Distanced (75mm)

557275055_SociallyDistanced.thumb.jpg.e32be33e5888a6577cfcdc583cfcb54d.jpg

• Like 5

Good stuff from the Contina Rick. I often see these described as Cortina on the auction site. The lenses are certainly not "Pants".

Zeiss Ikon made beautifully finished cameras, it's a shame they got a few things wrong. It's easy to overlook these little viewfinder cameras in favour of rangefinders or SLR's, but I've often found that for my type of photography, estimating distance is quick and works 90% of the time.

Very nice camera and very nice results Rick. Your comment about "jewel like" certainly fits well. A buddy and I always remark exactly that about the cameras from back then. As an example, the Contax IIa and IIIa look great even when beaten to within an inch of their lives. Remarkable. Certainly you should keep it.

I did look up Zeiss Ikon Contina and found 15 camera models descended from an original Ikonta 35. Its small wonder that there is confusion over the different models.

https://sites.google.com/site/delinfinitoalplanofocal/contina/continatree.png

You sample looks good and the images equally good.

I'll have to take more notice when the name Contina comes up.

Like the report-- thanks!

To no particular end, I have long been fascinated by the stylistic differences between the West German cameras (and other products such as cars for example) and their East German equivalents.

Your Contina has the curvy, "fett", and prosperous lines of the West. The Contaflex below is less so, but still more curvy than the Contax D below:

Contax-contaflex.thumb.jpg.5614b13c724cc1598a2b415e92e28b39.jpg

• Like 1