Compact Cameras Useful?

bruce_t

I'm curious if anyone finds a compact camera useful in the wedding business. Note that I'm not asking if you

should use one for a primary wedding camera (which would seem foolish for most), but if there are situations

(i.e. cramped, crowded receptions; last ditch back-up; etc.) where you've found them handy.

Some top wedding photographers use cameras like a Canon G9 for the extreme close-ups of the rings, bright sunlight shots (not limited for sync speed), and as a camera that can go anywhere with less risk than an expensive DSLR, not to mention as last resort back-up.

A lot of photo journalist have ditched DSLR's with all of the lenses for good point and shoots; something with a Zeiss zoom lens. Newspaper print doesn't have to be 10 megapixels, but some of these good cameras are getting the job done.

I wouldn't show up at a wedding with one, but thats just me.

I think there are situations where a compact camera comes in useful if it's pocketable size always there and ready. I carried my Oly Stylus Epic in my pocket sometimes when I was still shooting weddings with film. It came in handy when I'd see something that would be gone in a few seconds while hauling an armload of gear into the reception. I also used it for shots while squeezing through crowds and inside vehicles sometimes. It was a lot easier to reach through the window of a small car with the compact than a SLR with bracket and flash.

With digital I'm not really interested in using any of the compacts currently available, but they've got to make one I like sometime. It's going to have to have the high ISO quality I'm used to with my DSLRs. I'm looking for a compact with a 6 or 8 mp APS-C size Canon sensor in it.

IMO...not yet. Like Nadine said, the G9 is great for Macro work and is always part of my back up kit that stays in the vehical awaiting emergancey deployment...alongside 2 extra DSLR bodies and two lenses, a 50mm and a 20mm, flash, cards, and batteries.

My bet is, within the next 5 years, there will be a fully functional G9 upgrade (something similar but yet completly different) that will be designed for the professional market. Complete with rangerfinder viewing, large sensors, AF performance and probably a 2.8 constant zoom in the 20-75mm range. When that happens, you can bet that i'll have it and will implement it vastly in the way i operate. Not a replacement for what i have but a welcomed adder. I hope, when this happens, the shutter will be almost silent. The only gripe i have with my 1DMII'N's is the loud shutter. I find myself using my old 10D a lot during indoor church ceremonies anymore for this very reason.

Slow focusing is the main trouble with compact cameras. I took my Nikon P5100 to a recent shoot and popped a few but then gave it up. I run it on continuous focus and let the camera select a focus point, but it's still slow compared to a DSLR. If you can wait for it the image quality is otherwise great :-) I would use it for 4x6's at ISO 800.

Here's an example of using a Sigma DP1 at a wedding:

www.rytterfalk dot com/?s=wedding+dp1

The full sized Sigma SLR used along with it has the exact same sensor.

I have this camera, but I would never use it at a wedding. It's terribly slow, and the post processing on the RAW files is painful as of yet with no Adobe support.

It can definitely be pulled off, but I have no reason to attempt it. My SLRs are higher quality, and out-perform any compact in speed, low light performance, and optical options.

Usable ISO tops out at 400, no ability to bounce flash or use off camera flash, can't use standard CF cards, shutter lag, most have widest aperture of 38mm effective FOV, can't enlarge past 8x10 even with no cropping, most have max aperture of f4 or smaller.

I would take a compact film camera like the Minox if I needed something inconspicuous as with an evil priest that did not allow photographers with cameras in "their" church (but guests are OK).

Burce...actually the G9, for me, is usable at ISO800 if shot correctly. You can mount a speedlight on it and bounce all day long..i do it all the time. You can buy an adapter and a wide angle to acheive 26mm. It has a F2.8 apperature on the wide in and smaller throught the zoom. It could be managable at a wedding but certainly not ideal.

I have brought along my Canon G9 on one wedding. Didn't use it, but I am the type that likes to overcompensate on

equipment. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I thought I might be able to use it to be a little less

obtrusive for some of the reception shots. Still might give it a try, but it's awful hard for me to put down my 1D Mk II when I am

in the thick if it.