Commercial worktime and Licensing fees

<p>Hi all,<br /> I am going to be doing a seven week assignment for a large insurance company in Boston. They want photos of about thirty programs they are sponsoring. I would be shooting 4-6 hours per day..... the photos would be put on their website and/or printed to advertise their programs... What should I charge? I'm thinking of charging between twenty-five and thirty-five thousand US dollars for shooting time and transportation, but I also want to figure out what to charge for licensing the individual images themselves.<br /> Should I charge for both work and licensing? What should be the rate per image, for licensing for a year if they only post the images on their website at about one-fourth page size? would I charge for every website they post them on? if so, how much?</p>

<p>I am assuming that this is for "general" photography of events and the like.<br>

For that I would charge it out at standard day rate (in my case £800 a day/appx $1300) for which they get a basic license (i.e. in house magazine and possibly their website) for a year.<br>

This would come to a basic £28k plus any extra travel etc.<br>

As it is 7 weeks guaranteed (?) working then I would offer a discount - probably about 10%. (a volume discount basically).</p>

<p>If they were going to be using the images in any sort of ad campaign then I would do that separately by image or number of images.</p>

<p>You say "I am going to be doing....." does that mean you got the gig without giving them a price first?</p>

<p>I have not yet got the job, but I am creating a proposal...<br>

I am freelancing as a photographer, I do not work for this company that I am proposing to.</p>

<p>I looked up these rates for licensing an image for 3 months on a companies website, tell me what you think.<br>

<a href="http://www.d-65.com/photographerresource/pricing.html">http://www.d-65.com/photographerresource/pricing.html</a></p>

<p>Please keep in mind, any employee of the hospital can be "tasked" with taking a camera and going forth to get images for the hospital. You, on the other hand, cannot go into the world and practice the art of medicine.</p>

<p>If you submit a high bid, the hospital management may look in-house for a photographer.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Jerry;<br>

re-read his post: he is not working for a hospital. He is bidding on creating marketing and advertising photos for a large insurance agency based in Boston. And that is not something "any employee of the hospital can be "tasked" with" at least not if the company wants an effective marketing campaign built with. <br>

That's like saying. I have a computer and Word and therefore can write ad copy for a multi-miilion dollar ad campaign or the script for Martin Scorcese.<br>

A quick off the cuff estimate if I were being asked would be something like :<br>

<strong>Creative fees:</strong> for corporate PR and marketing 7 days x $xxxx.xx; The actual numbers would be based on the usage the client is askign for. For corporate work (for me) this is generally about 3-5 years unlimited exclusive usage. if they are using it for consumer advertising and not just marketing materials the rate is higher and isn't based on daily fees.<br>

Travel time if the locations are not all in a single geographic region (like the Boston area).<br>

<strong>Digital capture, processing (including basic retouching), editing and archival delivery:</strong> $XXXX.00<br>

(just becausee digital media dcosts virtually nothing doesn't mean your time spent processign and the machines you do it with are also free. They need to be paid for.<br>

Expenses:<br>

travel (auto travel, airline tickets, etc.) , assistant(s), lodging, food per diems, a stylist (if needed) , any special rental gear I need., any special insurance requirements, etc. </p>

<p>So $25,000 - $30,000 for what Jemuel describes isn't out of line for an assignment of this size and type. </p>

<p>To prepare my estimates and invoices, track job changes and usage schedules I use Blinkbid software http://www.blinkbid.com . Multiple clients have told me they really like how organized my estimates and invoices are and that the presentation does make a difference. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Re: "...re-read his post: he is not working for a hospital." Thanks, I knew that. I have also 'shot' images for a hospital. Some modern hospitals have CEOs who think "why pay someone to do photography?" That's a fact I was trying to put forth.</p>

<p>If the OP is successful in getting the project, fine. My guess that getting the hospital to foot the bill for travel and lodging, then having to pay for using the images may not go over extremely well. But it could...</p>

<p> </p>