CLA service from KEH

Farkle-Mpls

<p>I have to return a Canon F1n to KEH for a small warranty repair. I know there are many highly-regarded Canon repair folks out there (Ken Oikawa, especially) but as it's already going to be making a trip to KEH, I was considering having a CLA done by KEH at the same time (and converting the light meter to 1.5v). Have any of you had KEH perform a CLA on an F1 for them? Thank you.</p>

<p>Patrick -- what I'm looking for is someone who has experience with KEH performing CLAs to tell me it is a "Walmart experience". No one has. And although Ken is excellent, no one has told me that KEH isn't also excellent. AND KEH is a heck of a lot easier to get ahold of then Ken is. I've been trying on and off for a month to get a hold of him and no luck ... I may need another option and this is one.</p>

<p>I heard back from KEH. Interestingly (and impressively), their warranty coverage will also cover servicing if the speeds are off. I've asked them to verify the shutter speeds as well as repair the light meter (and convert it to 1.5v). I offered to pay for the voltage conversion but the rest of the service should be free. </p>

<p>It's not a CLA but if it keeps the camera running for a few years, I can have a full CLA performed at a later date. Will keep you posted and let you all know how the experience goes.</p>

<p>I've not had to do a warranty claim with KEH before but they offer prepaid return postage too. That's a class act!</p>

<p>Steven, thanks for the link. Seems so-so at best. Well, they have my camera by now so we'll see how it performs when I get it back. I did get a hold of Ken O (he returned my call) and I sent three other FD bodies to him for service (F1n, F1N, EF). I'm very anxious to see how he does -- based on member experience I'm optimistic. If KEH botches it, I'll send it on to Ken. I'll post my experience with KEH back to this thread.</p>

<p>Mr Barey -- A year or so ago, I sent two T90s to Steve for CLAs and he did an outstanding job but he referred me elsewhere for my F1s. For the T90s, I'd look no further than Steve. BTW, I'm selling one of those T90s. If anyone is interested, please contact me off-list.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I have had a very good history buying new and used products from K.E.H. but I've always been suspect of their service abilities IE: They quite often advertise used cameras both film and digital that they radically discount because of some minor problem, it would seem to me that replacing an eyepiece ring that they show in their parts stock and then sell the camera as a used but working camera. If they can't even fix their own inventory why would I trust them to do mine?</p>

<p>I did get my camera back from KEH. It took awhile -- probably three weeks -- but I wasn't in a hurry so it didn't make much of a difference. They seem to have provided the required service for it (I'm still testing a roll of film through it). The light meter now works consistently and they converted it to 1.5v per my request (I need to check it against a gray card but their note indicated the service had been performed). If everything checks out, I'll be pretty happy with my "user" 1980 Olympic F1n. </p>

• 3 months later...

<p>A footnote on my Feb 19th posting: KEH did fix the problem I had identified with the camera (the light meter) but I was disappointed that they didn't convert the light meter to 1.5v as I had politely asked them to do. I had also offered to pay. They didn't respond at all -- yes or no -- to my request for the voltage conversion. </p>

<p>The camera does work though and I'm happy with it so, ultimately, they fixed what they were required by warranty to repair.</p>