Choosing low technology EOS camera.

camerart

Hi,

My first proper camera was Pentax ME super film camera (I still have a couple of them). I really enjoyed using it, it was perfect for me, and I took 1000s of photos. I studied photography, including the Zone system and had a 1/2 plate camera and enlarger, a weston light meter, and processed my films/paper, which I really enjoyed.

I then bought an EOS600 film camera, and hardly used it because it was too complicated. Not learning my lesson, I bought an EOS600D plus two nice lenses, and the same happened, although it takes lovely photos.

What would suit me better is to have the same type of technology of the ME super, but will take my EOS lenses.

Is there a simple digital camera, I assume Canon, that is as small as possible, while also having a light meter, and minimal extras with either an APS-H or better 35mm sensor, please?

Cheers, Camerart.

You can just put it in the green Auto modes until you are ready to start learning aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how/why you should choose the different settings. The 600D has all the Auto Dial settings for setups for portraits (Face), landscape (Mountains), macro (Flower), action (Running guy)... It doesn't get easier. Just go to YouTube and search how to use the 600D. The Canon Rebels are a great entry level DSLR to learn on or just use in Auto modes.

There are the Canon mirrorless or a Sony A7 with an adaptor for EF or EF-S lenses, they are smaller bodies, but they are going to be just as complex if not using in Auto modes.

Cheers, Mark

If you put it in M, ALL the digital EOS cameras display (in the viewfinder) the exposure given the lens and ISO settings. If you change the aperture and/or shutter speed and/or the ISO, the meter reflects the exposure. Very similar (in function, though NOT appearance) to my old K1000. The smallest camera w/ an APS-H + sized sensor will be a 6D (FF 35mm), which is NOT small compared to the ME. To get a smaller/est EOS, you would have to go down to an APS-C sized sensor - something like the SL1 is the smallest EOS.

You can just put it in the green Auto modes until you are ready to start learning aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how/why you should choose the different settings. The 600D has all the Auto Dial settings for setups for portraits (Face), landscape (Mountains), macro (Flower), action (Running guy)... It doesn't get easier. Just go to YouTube and search how to use the 600D. The Canon Rebels are a great entry level DSLR to learn on or just use in Auto modes.

There are the Canon mirrorless or a Sony A7 with an adaptor for EF or EF-S lenses, they are smaller bodies, but they are going to be just as complex if not using in Auto modes.

Hi M,

Did you read that I don't want a camera with any auto features, apart from a light meter?

C.

Hi All,

I've been comparing and looking at options, following your suggestions. I just took my camera out and with a lens is connected, the slight difference in body size, won't make much difference.

I've come to the conclusion that I will stick to my well looked after Eos600D and two lenses, and try to not get annoyed, by all of the buttons etc, that I have forgotten how to use. I also have Canon A670 and A460 smaller cameras which I use all of the time, but and if I want a better quality FUN camera, I should buy a modern compact one.

Thank you.

C.

On something like an introductory Nikon or Canon dLSR, the "automatic", or better still, "program," setting is likely to produce superior results to a point-and-shoot camera.

Surprisingly, other than on a few photography websites like this, there are few "must shoot manual" zealots who will try to force you to use anything other than A or P settings and save in jpg.

As you shoot, if you are observant and keep a manual handy, you will likely learn how to use the more "advanced" features. If not, you don't have to tell anyone.

History shows that "minimalist" feature cameras rarely cost less than the automatic ones, and many may have all the circuits, just without any way to turn them on.

I don't quite understand. The Pentax ME Super had manual and aperture preferred automation. It's quite possible to use either of those settings exclusively on an EOS600D, adjusting ISO as required. There is not even a need to use anything but auto white balance for your jpegs, although white balance setting is just common sense.

Any other settings can be left on default settings as long as you want. Choosing to shoot in jpeg/raw or raw alone would inevitably mean using photoshop or similar, which sounds like a can of worms you may not want to deal with.

The 400D & 100D I have been using are each a little less sophisticated than the 600D, but basic controls are pretty much the same. At that level, I find them both very easy to use, particularly shooting jpegs on aperture priority.

Hi M,

Did you read that I don't want a camera with any auto features, apart from a light meter?

C.

I believe when I read,

"I then bought an EOS600 film camera, and hardly used it because it was too complicated. Not learning my lesson, I bought an EOS600D plus two nice lenses, and the same happened, although it takes lovely photos."

That your desire to not have Auto conflicted with your comment too complicated and was an oxymoron.

The exposure meter in a Canon is essentially your light meter. Center of the bar is the exposure read by the camera. The tab beneath the bar is where your camera is set to expose for, so you can easily see if you are over or under exposing to the center where the camera is telling you is proper exposure.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

If you put any Canon EOS in M mode (Manual), then you set the ISO, aperture and shutter manually and the metering stays active, for your reference, should you decide to consider it. If you want a "simple" camera, isn't that what you're asking for? You already have a camera that does that. If you want smaller, then go mirrorless and use an adapter for you EF lenses. Remember, go to M-mode to turn off the automation. Maybe you haven't discovered M-mode yet; otherwise, I may not really understand your question. BTW, lots of us operate in M-mode most of the time.

same type of technology of the ME super, but will take my EOS lense

Dream on.

Didn't the ME have aperture priority with an electronic shutter? So, just put your Canon in Av mode and you are done, or shoot in manual as described above. The ME was already complicated compared to an unmetered Nikon F...

Robin Smith