Capture NX

pablito_pistola

I'd be most grateful if anyone could answer my questions.

1. Capture NX came with my D300, in a package marked "NSA" and "Not for Sale". I have not used it but it may help

with a specific problem (noted below). However, can anyone tell me if this is indeed free or whether it's a trial

version and I will be prompted to buy it after a certain period. The package says nothing about it being a trial

version but I have read on the web about this not being free software.

2. My real question is, can Capture NX accurately correct barrel or "mustache" distortion produced by various

Nikon lenses? I vaguely remember reading something about this but now I cannot find any references. If so, does

it only work for NEF files or will it also correct lens distortions in JPG as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It only corrects simple pin cushion or barrel. Works on any type file. Thats all photoshop does too. Get PtLens for

$25 and it will fix non simple distortion with ease.

I am working with a trial that came with my D700. Nice for some things, but generally i prefer photoshop. I can`t

even find ruler for croping. Burn/dodge functions are a pain and quite imprecise. masking generally is poor. It

definately will not do HDR or panoramic stitching.

I would rather work with ACR and bring it into ps for local manipulations. But you have it and it is paid for, so learn to

like it. It will do most things a photographer needs.

Link to the instruction book below.

C:\Program Files\Nikon\Capture NX 2\html\index.html

If you also received the Capture NX activation keycode printout with your D300, then you have a free copy of the

software. You should also download the latest update from Nikon, I believe it's up to version 1.3.5.<br>

Capture NX works with jpg as well as tif and raw files. <a

href="http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/?p=469">This page describes some of the distortion correction

capabilities</a>.

Robbert Budding, I dont't think your comments make much sense. Who says that the D700 should be $2,600, not $2,440 plus $160 for

NX2? MSPs are a totally abstract concept. And why is it, then, that you got a free copy of NX up to the D300 without adding the so-called

price (again, a totally abstract concept) to the price of the camera, and all of a sudden you have to pay for NX2, otherwise you can't

correctly read the D700's files? As for 3rd party users being happy because NX2 is not bundled with the D700, I just don't get it.

I think that Nikon is being cheap to not bundle NX2 witht he D700, too. Or to not offer a free upgrade from NX to NX2 (some people,

like me, have actually paid for NX, before it was bundled with older cameras.) Or to not include the battery cover BL-3 with the MB-D10

grip. Or to not include a LCD protector with the D3. I also think that Zeiss is cheap and mean to not incude hoods with their lenses. This

reasoning (that we keep reading from time to time) that the accessories or software would add up to the price of the item if included doesn't

hold water.

I don't know if this applies to included software or not.

Purchase Capture NX Version 1 from a Nikon Inc. authorized reseller, (Product number 25338) between May 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008 to receive a FREE Capture NX 2 Upgrade directly from Nikon. Simply call 800-Nikon-UX with your product key and provide a copy of your proof of purchase to receive a Capture NX 2 key code free of charge.

I bought Capture NX in 2007, then later got a free Capture NX with my D300, which I've never registered since I already had it. I wonder why Nikon doesn't offer any kind of discounted upgrade price for owners of Capture NX. It's annoying. Sure, I can convert the NEF files from my D700 with CS3, but I believe Capture NX does a better job than CS3.

Dave Lee, my situation exactly, and my thoughts also, though I find you very polite to say it's «annoying.» However, I don't

think NX is good, anyway. It's incredibly sluggish (on my older Power mac G5 at least, even with 2 gig Ram), it's

convoluted to the point of being undecipherable (what on earth are «steps»?), it has an exasperating way of checking out

previous settings when going to the next ones, etc... But above all, the batch process stinks. I can't make last minute

corrections to a few individual images in a batch of selected images. The batch will launch as soon as you hit «Paste

settings.» Now, is that stupid or what? It defeats the whole purpose of batch processing. All others converters I know let

you do that: ACR, Lightroom, even Capture One.

Which makes me think: why can NX (bundled with the first D3s) read and process the D3 Nef files, but not the D700's?

Don' they have the exact same sensor and engine? Is it that Nikon suddenly realized they could pump some more money

out of their customers' pockets by encrypting the D700 Nef files to sell the NX2 (trial version only bundled with the D700)?

Call me paranoid, but I have learned to expect anything.

Tim Dalton, are you telling me they offer a free upgrade to recent buyers of NX, but not to older ones? This is even more

infuriating than I thought.

NX2 full version software is available on eBay for $120 including shipping which is more obviously than the

upgrade price ($70) of NX to NX2 and less than the full price for NX2 ($180). Interestingly, Canon gives their

DPP software (equivalent to NX2) to its customers at no extra cost, including upgrades.

lost the thread shortly after "best way to correct distortion.."

<br><br>

but to throw in my $.02 on that topic, ptlens is good, so is bibble, and dxo. (bibble and dxo are excellent raw

processors too - imo much better than acr - very different though). what's "best" depends on which lens you're

correcting, but all perform well. at $15, ptlens should be an easy decision, if correcting distortion is all you

need.