Can't use FD 50mm f/1.8 S.C. breech-lock on Canon AE-1

kaysmith

Hey guys!

I've got my father's Canon AE-1 but the FD 50mm f/2 (Bayonet mount) that came with it is filled with fungi now and the repair shop didn't wanna risk breaking the lens down to fix. So! I've just bought another FD 50mm f/1.8 S.C. (breech-lock) to replace to old one but when testing, the shutter is only released half way and would complete only when I turn the breech-lock off and pull out the lens. This doesn't happen with the other FD 50mm f/3.5 macro (Bayonet mount).

Does anyone have any idea what I should do in this case? Is there any secrets that I don't know? I thought FD lenses are all the same and I'm pretty sure I turned the breech-lock ring tight and it fits into the camera mount but yeah... Now I'm mourning over my stupidity and the money I spend :'(

Thanks in advance!

pdpvdljlgKHeGcuQxyD-o.thumb.jpg.0e27cd53f86950ee5e4c314150d92a9d.jpg

FD02.JPG.91770c214f558d2f404fbb1c0474eceb.JPG

fd03.JPG.2493a3e3ee84562b51331bf7e1d875a5.JPG

You're right that all FD lenses should operate with your camera.

I'd suppose that the lens aperture controls don't work properly which could prevent the release cycle from completing.

Check if the mechanical lens controls work freely while the lens is not mounted to the camera. Remove rear cap, release chrome ring by pushing down the stopper that holds it in the unlocked position, then turn to locked position. You should now be able to freely move the automatic aperture lever and the aperture signal lever (the two levers running in the long slots). You should feel some resistance because the levers are spring loaded. But they should not feel stiff nor rest at any position.

I'd suppose that the lens aperture controls don't work properly which could prevent the release cycle from completing.

Check if the mechanical lens controls work freely while the lens is not mounted to the camera. Remove rear cap, release chrome ring by pushing down the stopper that holds it in the unlocked position, then turn to locked position. You should now be able to freely move the automatic aperture lever and the aperture signal lever (the two levers running in the long slots). You should feel some resistance because the levers are spring loaded. But they should not feel stiff nor rest at any position.

Thank you for the advice. I’ve checked and the aperture isn’t working. I’ve been tricked by the seller :(

The biggest problem with older automatic lenses is the aperture blades sticking.

It even happens when they aren't nearly that old.

I have a Vivitar 24/2.0 stuck open.

I then bought a used Nikon AI 24/2.8 which has worked well for many years.

If I needed the 2.0, I could always use the Vivitar, but have never done that.

Sometimes if you wiggle it open and closed, it will loosen up again, but

otherwise see if you can get your money back.

What is the going rate for the FD 50/1.8? Shouldn't be so much.

-- glen

It's been a while, and I've never actually tried any of the breech-lock Canon lenses on my FD cameras, BUT

I seem to have a dim recollection of FD lenses needing to have the mechanisms in the lens mount "lined up" somehow before they'd mount.

Or Not?

• Like 1

There were two versions of the 50/1.8 breech mount lens. Yours appears to be the earlier type, which is physically longer than the later version. And yours also probably has a lock lever on the back with two positions, one a red L and the other a white dot. Make sure this is at the white dot so the larger of the two levers can move freely. If it doesn't have this locking lever, then make sure the larger lever (with the angular base) is all the way to the left in its slot before you mount the lens.

You can then confirm whether the aperture is stopping down or not by mounting the lens on the camera, moving the aperture off the A setting, advancing the film wind lever and pressing the depth of field slide on the front of the camera towards the lens mount. But you must advance the film wind lever. If you don't, the lens can only stop down no more than the aperture used when the shutter was last tripped.

• Like 1

It's been a while, and I've never actually tried any of the breech-lock Canon lenses on my FD cameras, BUT

I seem to have a dim recollection of FD lenses needing to have the mechanisms in the lens mount "lined up" somehow before they'd mount.

Or Not?

I have had similar experience.

Cannot remember the Exact Scenarios, but yeah.....Remove one type, and install the other, and i cannot get the damn thing on. Try the previous lens, and it falls right on.

Give the other lens another shot, but i turn the aperture Fully ...open or closed... and the "problem" was solved. o_O

I'm afraid the FD lens mount became over complicated as they tried to accommodate breech lock and bayonet lenses. Something of a dogs breakfast.

60 years old and i have never heard that term before. :)