Canonet QL17 light meter

I recently bought a really nice Canonet QL17 (with literature, case and flash)

for less than $30. Fair deal. Everything works well, but I am having a bit of

trouble adapting to the light meter from using Nikon SLRs. Can anyone explain

how the Electronic Eye (marked by the red 'A' on the lens) works? All help will

be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Hi Regan! If you look through the viewfinder, on your right you will see a pointer and a scale marked in f-stops. The light meter sets the aperture automatically according to the film speed you have set, you do nothing except focus and shoot.

If the available light is to dark or too light there is a shutter lock that is activated preventing you from tripping the shutter. Pretty simple.

Mike

If you are looking for an aperture-priority rangefinder camera: you will find this feature in all models of the Yashica Electro series. But these do not indicate shutter speed in the viewfinder (they just have warning lights for overexposure and slow speeds).

The only cameras I know with aperture priority and indication of shutter speed are the Agfa Selectronic Sensor S (there is also a Selectronic model without rangefinder), the Voigtlaender VF101 and the (almost identical) Zeiss-Ikon S310.

also, check the foam light seals, which have probably gone bad. This can happen no

matter how carefully the owner kept the camera, on models ranging from cheapies to

professional gear.

The eBay seller "interslice" (Jon Goodman) sells foam replacement kits ($12 including

shipping, enough foam to do about 5 cameras), which are worth it for the directions, or

just buy some black foam at a craft stores.

I have no connection with Jon Goodman other than as a satisfied customer, you can search

photo.net on "interslice" to see many more satisfied customers.

The QL17 is indeed designed to work in a shutter priority automatic mode, as many comments have already suggested. However, there actually IS a way to trick the camera into working in an aperture priority semi-auto mode. It is as simple as follows:

- Leave the camera in "A";

- Select MENTALLY the aperture you want to use;

- Turn the speed dial until the selected aperture is shown by the needle in the viewfinder.

The only drawback with this system is that you are now shown the shutter speed you are operating at. Even for this there is a simple solution: start at 1/500, and go down counting the clicks.

Tha Canon QL 17 (i own the G III last model) is an automatic shutter priority exposure camera, whit a mechanical shutter. When you set manually the shutter time, the camera set automatically the appropriate aperture, according to the ASA sensitivity of the film. Also, is possible to use the manual exposure, but lack the exposure (you need to use the Sunny 16 rule or an external exposure meter).

To replace the outlawed 1,3 volt PX625 mercury oxide battery, the best option are an MR-9 battery adapter or a Weincell MRB625.

Ciao.

Hi

I'm also having trouble with the exposure meter settings on a QL17.

I've got one of the early large QL17's circa 1965. This one has no needle or numbers indicating f stops. It also has a completely different battery compartment - a screw in plate over a battery well - that seems much too big/deep for the px625 (as opposed to GIII's which had a sort of slide/lift plate for the battery). Any pointers? Will a properly installed battery make the light meter indicators and needle appear or did this model simply not have them. I hope this okay to post this here. Regards

Problems solved. I found a manual for the early Canonet QL17 thanks to Hakuna Matata. The site has a number of rangefinder manuals.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/range/range.htm

The confusion for me is caused by the spring in the battery compartment (clearly visible in the manual) is missing on my Canonet. Hopefully I can replace this and get the meter to appear.

cheers

elwrongo