Canon suspendes manufacturing in China for now.

zml

<blockquote>

<p>Tomorrow (9/18) will be the 81st anniversary of the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukden_Incident" target="_blank">Mukden Incident</a>, which officially marked the Imperial Japanese Army's invasion of Manchuria in 1981. <a href="http://sinocism.com/?p=6668" target="_blank">Bill Bishop of Sinocism blog</a> notes that the day has traditionally served as a "hate Japanese even more" day.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>~ Business Insider by Adam Taylor.</p>

<p>The Japanese Invasion was 1931, not 1981.</p>

<p>Be that as it may, I was watching the news last night while doing some other stuff, and just caught some images of Chinese people ripping a big red Canon emblem off a building and trampling around on it. I can see why Canon might want to get its Japanese employees in China to a safe place as long as that's still possible.</p>

<p>National pride stirring up people in Asia, and religious sensitivities stirring up extremists in the Arab World and the West. It seems like enlightenment has taken some time off.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Japanese Invasion was 1931, not 1981.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Regardless, we (Americans ;-) ) still remember and memorialize Pearl Harbor, even 60yrs later. The horrors the Japanese Imperial Army committed while occupying mainland China makes Pearl Harbor (or even 9/11) look like a Sunday picnic. I would be very surprised indeed if the Chinese forgot, or forgave, so easily - or so soon - especially given the example we've provided. <br>

Of further note, the 'history' of apologies by Japan for it's conduct during the war has been controversial. Most Chinese seem to feel that Japan has never sincerely apologized for it's Army's war crimes. This is perpetuated by conflicted behavior within Japan. For example, in <em><strong>2006</strong></em>, the PM offered an apology to China, but<em> on the same day</em>, Japanese lawmakers got together and paid an honorary visit to a shrine of 1000+ <em>war criminals</em>. Combine that with the Japanese refusal to admit that their army enslaved Chinese 'comfort women' women as sexual slaves...</p>

<p>Certainly an impartial observer could understand why the Chinese are still a <em>smidge</em> pissed off at Japan...</p>

<p>When in Japan a couple of years ago when this anniversary occurred, it was eye opening to see significant contrition by the Japanese, including full-page coverage of the atrocities. Japanese school children were even visiting China and placing flowers at Chinese memorials. The Japanese government may still have trouble with contrition, but the people, to some significant degree, seem to recognize the sins of their past.</p>

<p>Furing the wwII era and with so,me americane even before, Anti-=japanrese feeling was very stronh.<br>

Japanese-americane were treated badly. not so for german and italian americans.<br>

I recall the story of the former hawiaian senetor of japanese ancestry.<br>

who seriously wonded- I think he lost an arm- and in US army uniform was denied a haircut becaue he was japanese,<br>

he was insulted, despite being in us uniform injured and weraring his medals.<br>

anti Japanese feeling was very strong even roihjy after wwII.<br>

Japam has proven to be a good ally. and has prospered with american help<br>

to start them on the way. japan and germany strted wwII to get oil to power inductry.<br>

The germans got some but the japanese very little<br>

At that time the US was the worlds main source of oil and refimned products, to was againdt<br>

the country that had most of the world's oil was dumb.<br>

The chinese suffered greatly under japoanese rule<br>

I am not surprised there is still resentment.</p>

<p>It's good to hear that David (of course), but since the Japanese government is the elected representative of the Japanese people, a formal recognition and apology by the government is most likely the only way to begin a proper reconciliation. Continuing to publicly deny that some atrocities occurred (especially when they are so well documented), and refusing to apologize for others they've already acknowledged kind of reminds me of Iran and the holocaust. I would expect that a mature and sensible member of the international community (as Japan now is) would recognize the positive impact of a simple, formal apology.</p>

<p>Me thinks Canon may understand it...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes, the rape of Nanking and the other horrors of Imperial Japan are pretty extreme. But, the people that perpetrated these atrocities are all dead or soon to be dead. There is still plenty of bad blood in Europe especially between Poles and Russians but even they have moved on. It's time they did in Asia too. Sins of the fathers are not those of the sons. But of course there are those politicians that gain advantage by stirring this all up. Who knows where it will end. </p>

<h1> </h1>

<p>I don't mind a political debate, but this forum is to do with camera, lens and alike! However, as there seems to be political focus on the Asian countries, it is appropriate to say that while others rely on oppressive measures for control, China is leading the world through its economic leadership!</p>

• 3 weeks later...