Canon rebate scam. Anyone else interested in class action?

everheul

I'm tired of Canon's rebate scam. I sent all the required items to

canon for my rebate and keep getting a run around from canon (same

story told on several threads)

I'm trying to find out if there is litigation yet, or if there are

enough people out there scammed by Canon on this rebate thing to

maybe get something going.

Just seeing if I'm the only one feeling burned.

You know whats probably happening, the scumbags that Canon has hired to be the authorized 'agent' for the rebate program is probably getting paid from Canon on EVERY ONE of the rebates and is pocketing the funds and only sending out the rebates if someone REALLY leans on them.

Time for EVERYONE to lean on CANON, either a registered letter or claim in small claims court. THAT will get their attention. This is big money and someone in Canon has got to have their fingers in the cookie jar too!

They only understand ONE thing. Time to kick some ass.

It's not Canon. It's the rebate center, which is a 3rd party hired and PAID by Canon, that is at fault.

You, and every one who has problems should write a brief and concise letter with copies of all material sent to Canon and let Canon know that the people they hired as scumbags (if that is in fact the case).

And send a copy to the ATTY general of the state in which the rebate center operates.

A few tips that will help in ANY rebate filing:

1) send everything with DELIVERY CONFIRMATION

2) make copies of ALL enclosed materials

3) make copies of the envelope with the stamp and address to which the rebate is sent.

4) put all of these materials inside a clasp envelope and mark it with the name of the rebate.

If you have any problems, and you have complied with the requested rebate material, send them a *copy* of the materials with a letter that unequivocably states that unless you get your money the next letter you send will be to the ATTy general of the state in which they operate.

Usually, it gets the job done.

On a different but, similar note, I am still waiting for Delta Airlines to pay me for luggage they lost back in December. Soon, I will take action as necessary.

Bottom line is: because Congress hasn't passed ANY laws which deter corporations from behaving as such they will continue to do so since very few people, if any, will take the time to fight them.

It's a big problem at many level. And now with the proposed "tort reform laws" and "call action lawsuit reform" WE, THE PEOPLE, stand to have nothing left to fight with.

And you all know who's passing those laws...

I just called the Canon Corporate Office at the number listed above and they tried to pawn off an 800 number to call (800 828-4040). I told the operator that I needed to talk with one of the Vice Presidents and she said she would put me through to someone. It was just one of the customer relations reps, named Germaine. He wouldn't give his last name. His direct number (757 222-9002 x2496)so he says.

I told him about all the problems with the rebate program and the many others who are also having similar problems. I asked who the administrator of the rebate program was and he side stepped the question. He asked if they had contacted me and I answered NO. He asked for the spelling of my name and what physical address I had put on the form. I gave him my post office box number and he said a condition of the rebate was to have a physical address, i then informed him that i receive all my correspondence through my post office. He told me that a physical address was required; i asked why and he said there are various reasons but one is that this rebate program is only offed to USA customers. (what if the US customer lived outside the country).

He indicated that they would be calling me within 48 hours. I told him that many unhappy customers were ready to start a class action suit if these problems aren't addressed. Again, he told me that they were going to look into it and take care of the problem.

I suggest y'all call him as well and document your correspondence.

>>(what if the US customer lived outside the country).<<

Come on, let's not muddy the waters here. If it says USA ONLY it means *in the USA* not born in or citizen of.

People should contact Canon ONLY if they have MET ALL rebates requirements. Otherwise it will screw it up for those who have.

Rebates are normally for US customers, living the the US and with the items being purchased in the US and shipped to a US address. I'm sure all of this is spelled out in the rebate forms. Usually the rebate forms state that the use of P.O. boxes voids the rebate.

The current rebate states "Requests to PO Boxes will not be honored". Can't get much clearer than that. If you use a PO Box, you're not eligable for the rebate. It's there in black and white.

Yes, the 3rd party outfits that deal with rebates are scum. No doubt about that at all. Canon aren't directly responsible, but they are responsible for hiring scum and seeing that the scum don't rip off their customers.

If Canon did all the paperwork themselves, they probably couldn't afford to offer a rebate, so this "rebate lottery" may be better then nothing (though much more annoying). My guess is that soon we'll be shipping our rebate forms to India or China (in fact maybe that's where they end up now...).

I believe I remember reading of some recent state class action suit against a particular rebate and company (don't remember which one), but such suits can be brought and won. These guys need some sort of cattle prod applied to them. The current situation is unacceptable.

That being said, I bought a Canon product with a rebate a few months ago and the rebate process went very smoothly. They sent me an email acknowledgement that my rebate forms had been received and approved and shortly thereafter the rebate arrived. This was for a video camera, not EOS gear.

I hates rebates...

I never buy anything on the basis of the economics of the post-rebate price. After I mail in my claim (if I mail it in), I forget about it. If I ever get the check, it's a happy surprise.

The small dollar amount of these rebates, especially for Canon EOS products, just isn't worth the aggravation of following up on it. But if anyone else can get these rebate fulfillment companies to clean up their acts, more power to you.

Me, I'm happy with the prices I can get at places like B&H, compared to most retail establishments.

<em>After I mail in my claim (if I mail it in), I forget about it.</em> - then you're exactly the sort of customer that Canon want!

<p>The last Canon rebate (not the current one) was up to $300 on a Digital Rebel and as much as $150 on some lenses. That's up to $600 on a body and two lenses. Hardly a trivial amount.

<p>

This time around it's $500 on a 1D mk II, $100 on a 20D and up to $50 on lenses. Still not exactly pocket change.

I have a PO box so I only buy gray market Canon gear. I always try to avoid purchasing anything that comes with a rebate offer on the assumption that doing so would amount to subsidizing a marketing scam.

I've never understood why any corporation would consider my business less valuable because I don't get home delivery, but it's their choice.

I might be the lucky one. I bought a few L lenses this January and got my $285 triple rebate in about 8 weeks.

As one poster suggested, make copies of everything you send out and use certified mail of return receipt.

In addition, I wrote a cover letter stating what documents I enclosed for the rebate. It seems everything worked out ok for me.

I only used Canon rebate twice and the first time was in 2001 and I also got my rebate check all right. Just a tidious process and need a lot of patience.

Bob Atkins: "The last Canon rebate (not the current one) was up to $300 on a Digital Rebel and as much as $150 on some lenses. That's up to $600 on a body and two lenses. Hardly a trivial amount."

Sure, and if you bought 1,000 times as much gear, the rebates would add up to $600,000...

With few exceptions (such as end of product life cycle specials), the rebates amount to less than 5% of the purchase price. Item for item, the rebates are not a big deal.

Incidentally, the two or three times I sent in Canon rebate claims, I did receive the checks (I think) more or less when promised (I think).

One body and two lenses is hadly an excessive purchase to get a $300-$600 rebate (old rebate scheme, one Digital Rebel and two lenses).

What does the % matter? If I get $500 back on a 1Ds mark II, I get $500. I don't care if $500 is 5%, 10% or 15% of the purchase price. Bucks is bucks.

Unless you burn money, $100 rebate on a 20D is worth having. It's not a trivial and insignificant amount worth writing off. If it is to you, donate it to charity, don't give it to the guys who rip you off.

I am an American living outside the USA. I work for the US govt in Belgium and the only American postal address I have is an APO address that contains a box number. Do I understand that Canon is telling me that I can't get a rebate on merchandise I purchase in the USA through an authorized dealer just because my employer has sent me across the ocean

I won't buy any Canon gear locally and pay two or three times the USA price for it just to spite Canon USA. I think that Canon is telling me to buy gray market in the USA andI think I'll follow their excellent advice.

I guess I am one of the lucky few. I sent them in and periodically checked on the status on the web site. Then after 8 weeks, the $350 rebate check came in. I turned in the rebate for several lens.

What I did ... I put down my name, address, serial number on every piece of paper I turned in and stapled each rebate item by itself. I think I fed ex to the rebate center for receipt confirmation. That way, there is no excuse for not receiving, no mismatch or lost documents.

Good luck!

Fred

Right... dissing Canon USA on a silly rebate program is like biting the hand that feeds (your addiction). A rebate is like a bonus -- if you get it you get it, otherwise just wait and quit harping on Canon USA. I cannot imagine anyone getting their panties in a bunch about a lousy $25 or $50 and "all I got is a P.O. Box"... (and you bought some kick-ass equipment, over the Internet, without sales tax, for a better price than had you walked into your local cmaera shop and bought the same $1,000 lens or $400 speedlite or $1400 body). Quit Whining about rebates. Thanks!<div>00C4qE-23290084.JPG.bb21d9005d9e62499f8eeed880d8705d.JPG</div>

Since so many people seem quite happy to get ripped off (a rebate isn't a bonus, it's a legal contract), I'm not surprised the rebate companies act as they do. Why should they bother paying out if most people just shrug and say "I don't really care if you send me the money or not".

If I were running a scam rebate operation, I'd deny every rebate that came in, then only pay out to those who bothered to complain. What would I have to lose?

I haven't received my rebate from Canon lens 2 years ago. These are bullshit people.

As for Nikon, I got rebates from a flash and lens within 2 months. It seems that Nikon, in rebate issue, is a better company than Canon. Funny thing is that Nikon kept telling me that they couldn't find my record. But at the same time, I got checks in my mailbox. I believe people who response emails are not the same people send out the checks.

Which came first? The rebate checks that never arrived, or the consumer expectations that the rebate checks will never arrive?

If you know going into the purchase that the likelihood of actually receiving that rebate check is less than 100% (and I wonder what the actual receipt rate is), then it's a personal financial decision whether to bother to submit the claim, whether to raise a stink (and how much of one) if the check doesn't arrive when promised, or even to buy the product in the first place.

<i>>>Do I understand that Canon is telling me that I can't get a rebate on merchandise I purchase in the USA through an authorized dealer just because my employer has sent me across the ocean</i><<

<p>

<p>

Rebates are a MARKETING tool, directed at a <b>specific</b> market segment (geographic location). Canon doesn't care where you were born, what country are you citizen of, where you reside, etc... The rebate is for postal addresses in the USA only. Just like you can't get a Japanes rebate if you live in the USA. It's just the way it is...