Canon -> Nikon

Okay, I admit it. I am a Canon user (and Yashica rangefinders) but want to

broaden my horizons. So I need some direction for a 'beginner' Nikon. My latest

Canon is a Eos 7NE, auto focus, fully manual / automatic etc. So I think

somewhere between a low end SLR and a 'good' amateur level camera. So pros and

cons would be nice but I am not afraid to go chasing down info either. Many

Thanks

Larry

My answer is going to be a bit off topic.

IMO, unless you really hate your current Canon EOS cameras, to broaden your horizon, you are much better off adding some lenses and accessories to your current system. If you are buying a separate Nikon system at roughly the same level, you probably won't pick up a lot of new knowledge.

Having said that, if you still want a good Nikon film SLR, in the US$400 range, a used F100 would be an excellent choice, but you'll still need lenses and accessories. In case you want a digital, you need to specify your budget and photo subject matter.

Just a general remark about switching to another camera brand. Don't rule out the amount of time you have spend familiarizing yourself with your existing brand. When changing you have to start all over again. Not much of a problem with regard to basic settings like aperture and shutter speed, but also think about the flash peculiarities. Have a look at photonotes.org for Canon, from what I read in the Nikon forums Nikon is just as complicated.

As has already been hinted at already, trying out a Nikon will not be very different from your current Canon system, just a different brand which basically does the same thing. If you really want to expand your horizons, going down an entirely different road might be more enlightening, like for instance getting a view camera - cheaper than getting started in a new Nikon system camera - or a pinhole camera, or trying to do your own darkroom work if you're not doing so already. <p>Also, you could challenge your own way of taking pictures by giving yourself assignments, like for instance one week just using one prime lens, one week just taking macro shots, another week just taking pictures of abstract patterns, one week just people shots - you get the idea, but the essence of it is that you constantly challenge what you know in order to improve your skills and to broaden your horizons.

It's already been said, but switching camera systems or brands won't really change your photography too much--although a switch from an autofocus camera to a full-manual one would! In addition to pinholes, you might look at Medium format cameras, e.g. TLRs (Rolleiflex, Yashicamat, etc..) or a waist-level SLR (Hasselblad, Bronica, etc..). You could also look into polaroids and holgas. As a film shooter, you've got lots of creative options to explore.

If you want to explore manual/mechanical cameras, as a change from your autofocus Canon body, you can look into either Canon's old FD mount, or a used Nikon FM2. I love my FM2; when I need autofocus, I use an F100.

I have to agree with Hakon and Vinh - Canon and Nikon cameras are basically the same except for the logo on the front. Get into TLRs, or folding cameras, or old Koni-Omegas or Graphics, or one of the several types of panoramic cameras. Or pinhole cameras; or the whole Holga/Diana/Lomo thing. You will get very different challenges and different results if you go this route.