Canon FD 4/3 adapter

jira

Looks like a great solution to using FD glass on a digital body. I'd love to see the pictures taken with this combo with various lenses. Of course we'd have to keep our FD bodies because we would lose the "wide" with our wide angle lenses.

After reading the short article, it states that you do not lose infinity focus and the adapter does not contain a glass element that degrades the image. Sound good so far!

As someone who uses FD lenses on both FD bodies as well as dslr (Sony) I second Mark Stephan's comments

With respect to Jiri's specific post, I wonder whether it is really a wise idea to mount an FD lens on a (micro) four-thirds body. By effectively blowing up the center of a lens image circle twofold, you would already be taking the optics to the limits of their design in terms of sharpness, and there would presumably be no room left at all to use the FD teleconverters without noticeable IQ deterioration.

Actually mounting a FD full frame lens on a Micro 4/3 2X crop factor sensor does not blow up anything. What it does is cut a smaller rectangle out of the same projected circle. The results would be that only the center of the image circle is used this is normally where a lens has it's best resolution and correction. The apparent magnification does increase by a factor of two.

So to talk about this Micro 4/3 ideal

I haven't seen anyway where a actual FD to Micro 4/3 adapter is for sale or even listed as coming to the market EXCEPT for in that photo in the Japanese magazine. Camera Quest only lists the idea of a Leica M mount adapter.

Which of course we can get on to by using a Canon Mount adapter B (FD lens to LTM body) plus a LTM to M adapter ring. (we no have 3 things between the lens and the body. Adding a Manual Diaphragm adapter so the lens can be stopped down.

Adapter B $25.00 now soon as this catches on I'm guessing a LOT MORE

Micro 4/3 to M $175.00

LTM-M ring $55.00

MDA $15.00 if you can find one

Adapter total $270.00

The results of this will be a Manual focus, Stop down metering, 2X crop factor, using a small screen to achieve focus.

BUT exactly how the camera will meter with no lens mounted (well that is what it's going to be thinking) is up for investigation (I couldn't get the manual to down load for some reason) I do know the camera has a setting to turn the IS off (which means it will have to be turned back on when going to an actual Micro 4/3 lens) And the camera does have a Av metering option so I assume that is what you would be using.

Not sure how dark the viewing screen will get if you stop the lens down much or if the auto ISO would automatically ramp up the ISO (I'm sure you can lock this out and hold an ISO)

Some numbers of what your lens collection effectively becomes:

17mm f4.0 becomes a 35mm f4.0 (Compared to a 35mm f2.0 not going to impress me I have both)

20mm f2.8 becomes a 40mm f2.8

24mm f2.0/f2.8 becomes a 48mm f2.0/2.8 (this will be your slow std. lens option)

28mm f2.0/f2.8 becomes a 56mm f2.0/2.8 (could also be used as a slow std lens)

35mm f2.0/f2.8 becomes a 70mm f2.0/2.8

50mm f1.2/1.4/1.8 becomes 100mm f1.2/1.4/1.8 (the fastest 100mm I've ever seen)

85mm f1.2L/1.8 becomes a 170mm super fast telephoto

100mm f2.0/f2.8 Becomes a short version of the 200mm f2.8) (for those who always wanted a 200mm f2.8L but couldn't afford the $4500.00 price tag) about this time focusing should become a real challenge with the short depth of field a 200mm lens has working with a tiny TV set as a viewfinder.

Over 100mm well you end up with some great fast telephotos the chances they are focusable I haven't a guess.

Of course the Camera comes with a 14-55mm kit lens so you will have like all tiny sensor digitals the ability to have the view of a full frame 28mm with AF and IS Wider options will cost you around $600.00-700.00 based on full size 4/3 prices.

The lens that comes with the camera will cover in full frame terms 28mm to 110mm So there would be no logical reason to bother screwing with using an FD lens that covers that range unless you wanted a faster lens that takes maybe 5 times as long to actually take a photo with. That is if you can focus a f1.2-f2.8 lens wide open with the little TV screen viewfinder.

SO now we are back to the idea about how great it would be to use our FD lenses on a digital body My guess is that our lenses between 50 and 100/135mm would be the limit of this option. So we are out to 200-270mm effective. For a cost of $270.00 in adapters.

OR you could by the Oly 40-150mm f4-5.6 for $279.00 and the mount adapter to go from full size 4/3 to Micro 4/3 OR wait and for about the same buy the Micro 4/3 mount lens that will cover this focal range for about the same price.

OK I now see almost NO reason to not just buy a digital body and the lenses dedicated to it . BUT your welcome to discuss this until it goes astray.

CameraQuest adapters are always ridiculously overpriced. I buy my adapters direct from Shanghi China for $20

instead of $175. And thats $20 delivered from Jinfinance at ebay usa. I own numerous adapters from him. He Makes

these

Quality adapters. Off the top of my head I'd guess 20 total from Shanghi for Nikon, FD, Olympus OM, and Pentax for

the rough cost of two CQ adapters. These used to run me $10 to $15 a pop but inflation is a bummer ya'know?

Give this new adapter a couple months and I'd guess the price for FD to micro 4/3 will run $50. Its just two integrated

mounts and a specific length extention tube and he's already tool'd up for 4/3 and FD with aperture control. Good

Stuff. Easily one of my favorite dealers.

On ebay yesterday one of these digitals in pretty red hammered $550 usa delivered. So say "bye~bye" to the idea

you need to pay $800:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310105515740

I'm glad to see this thread survived to flourish here on Oly Film and 4/3 Forum. Where Film and Digital capture

happily co-exist in a single venue. Just like film & digital co-exist on Nikon and Eos and Leica forums too.

I love my FD glass and canon certainly made a ton of it. So seeing a digital solution for it is welcomed.

If it were me, I'd get the body lens combo now for $550~ish and in 2 or 3 months add the FD adapter once its readily

and affordably available. I'll add I've used FD with limited distance focus on my Eos 5D and my Pentax dslrs and its

really high quality:

Lack of noise. you know purple fringing in the shadows. Canon did quite well to minimize internal reflections in FD

glass

Lindy

Lindy, Mark W. is so ANAL when it comes to digital and FD and I'm happy to see the responses to FD and 4/3 here. Can you tell me what setup you have that uses FD lenses? Can you post a picture of the setup? Does this setup up work with the regular 4/3 system or is it restricted to micro 4/3 I've read about. And lastly, do you have any images taken with the Oly/FD combination? I'd love to see what it's capable of. My guess is you need a 4/3 body, 4/3 to FD adapter and FD lens to make it work, is this correct?

<i>BUT exactly how the camera will meter with no lens mounted (well that is what it's going to be thinking) is up

for investigation (I couldn't get the manual to down load for some reason) I do know the camera has a setting to

turn the IS off (which means it will have to be turned back on when going to an actual Micro 4/3 lens) And the

camera does have a Av metering option so I assume that is what you would be using. Not sure how dark the viewing

screen will get if you stop the lens down much or if the auto ISO would automatically ramp up the ISO (I'm sure

you can lock this out and hold an ISO)</i>

<p>

Check my post few threads below. You can use all manual lenses (with proper adapters, of course) and use all

metering modes. Focusing is easier than anything else you/I know before (RF, SLR, etc). This stuff is

revolutionary.

<p>And that "crop" redundance- aren't tired of posting these time and again? :) Nothing "becomes" anything.

They just stay put as they are! If you are in doubt, use the search function to figure out what has been

discussed to death already all over this site.

<p>

On the M4/3 to M adapter becoming cheap from PRC for $20/-. Good luck! Won't happen. That particular adapter

isn't an easy one to come up with (see:http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4194).

<p>

My experience with the G1 (and only manual lenses, the kit zoom sleeps) so far: Fantastic!

<p>

I am trying to trade my Nikon D300 for two G1 bodies.:)

Just a follow-up to the Jinfinance guy. I have dealt with him and he is good. After selling me an adapter he followed up with emails asking how I was getting on and which lenses worked with it. His stuff is good quality and cheap, and also he obviously knows what he is doing.

I have no clue what a Tv mode is. If you use manual lens, you set the aperture on the lens and you focus.

Metering can be all the 3 types that are available in the camera. In aperture priority mode, the camera will choose the shutter speed for a given aperture and a given ISO.

I only have one FD (or is that an FL??) lens, the 19mm retro-focus one. I will give it a try when I find it.

Meanwhile, I am really enjoying the Canon 50/0.95 on my G1.

Time and technology move on. The beauty of micro four thirds is the micro part. I do not see hanging my FD 200 mm F 2.8 on a small body. Except for fun and just for the hell of experimentation. I am excited about new small optics to match the body size. Disclosure; Bought most FD lenses used and some for a song. I will still use them along with the late great T90 and the A-1 now and then. I follow this with some mild amusement. Lenses have come a long way and I just suck up the cost of transition. As I did when VHS tapes were replaced by DVD and now blu ray to likely do a handspring over that one day. Not a salesman for Olympus and I understand the desire to "recycle" when one can. The FD forumgoers depend on those of us who may part with FD glass on the cheap:-) Really. And I was a great admirer of Canon product---now I converted. No retreat.

The Panasonic G1 is the best digital camera yet devised to use with adapted manual lenses, imo. It's one of the main

reasons I will buy one ... there are a number of superb Leica, Cosina/Voigtländer, and other difficult-to-adapt lenses that

I'd like to work with. The G1's EVF will give me more capability and flexibility than any SLR viewfinder has.

A G1 kit comprised of the (upcoming) Lumix G 7-14/4, Heliar 15mm f/4.5, (upcoming) Lumix G 20mm f/1.8, Ultron

28mm f/2, Nokton 40mm f/1.4 and Color Heliar 75mm f/2.5 is what I'm dreaming about for next year... And I'd also be

able to use my entire FourThirds lens kit with the mount adapter supplied by Panasonic.

I probably don't need all those lenses, but equipment fantasies are fun. ;-)

Godfrey

The reason I ask about longer lenses is that since the camera comes with a lens that covers the full frame equivalence of 28-110mm I see no reason to bother loosing AF and IS in order to use a manual focus lens on it. BUT if it can be focused accurately with a 400mm f4.5 nFD or 500mm f4.5L then that is something I could find limited use for it.

I clearly outlined this in my rather long post above.

Since you have only shown photo's from lenses in the std. range I thought I would ask. a 400mm or 500mm at f4.5 is one heck of a lot harder to accurately focus then a 50mm even at f1.4

As to trying it out I guess I would need an adapter first and since I have seen no source of a M4/3 to FD adapter yet for sale that will have to wait. And then I would have to find someone local that is selling the camera Maybe up in Portland.

But dropping $800.00 to try something is well out of my world of finances. So I ask questions of those who have been promoting this idea.

"I clearly outlined this in my rather long post above."

I am tired of reading someone trying to show 2x2 =4, 3x2 =6, and on and on. If you mentioned something else in

there. May be it is there <shrug>

"Since you have only shown photo's from lenses in the std. range I thought I would ask. a 400mm or 500mm at f4.5

is one heck of a lot harder to accurately focus then a 50mm even at f1.4"

I linked a thread with samples from a 100mm lens at a magnification of ~2.5X. What sort of a telephoto

equivalent in terms of angle of coverage would that be? ;)

"But dropping $800.00 to try something is well out of my world of finances. So I ask questions of those who have

been promoting this idea."

Promoting what idea? Did this thread come and visited you on the FD forum or what?

Live a little, Mark. Dump one of your fondler items of a dead system to buy something useful. :-)

well a 500mm f4.5 has an angle in the horizontal of 4 degrees

a 100mm has an angle in the horizontal of 20 degrees

So I'll just go out on a limb and say a 500mm lens on any body is 5 times harder to accurately focus then a 100mm lens on the same body. SO this is why I asked

and I think in todays market it would take a little more then one of my FD bodies to come up with the price of a G1.

And YES Vivek this thread did come visit me on the FD forum I moved it here one of the perks of being a Moderator on Photo.net is being able to put things where they belong. Which is why I'm involved with the conversation I'm interested in the answers. I might be interested in finding a digital option for my lenses.

Never said I wasn't.

<p>Soon as I have a G1 body to work with, I'll fit the Nikkor 180/2.8 to it and see what it does. Pretty sure it will work very nicely ... it was easy to focus at f/11 with the E-1 and L1 SLRs, the G1's viewfinder will be even better.</p>

<p>Maybe even try with the Olympus EC14 teleconverter ... 255mm f/4 .. if it will allow that. That's as long a lens as I have other than the Olympus 50-200/2.8-3.5 combined with the same teleconverter. </p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

<p>Perfect, Thanks Godfrey. I asked my favorite adapter maker in Shanghi about making micro 4/3 lensmount adapters and he said this will happen soon. I'd guess he needs a G-1 inhand. Should prove to be a popular series of adapted to micro 4/3 body adapters for him. </p>

<p>Let me ask, does your incoming G-1 include normal 4/3 lens adapter? The specs I've read do not mention it. If not then whats panosonic charging for their additional micro4/3 to 4/3 adapter?</p>

<p>Lindy</p>

<p> </p>