Canon A1 shutter locks up?

Randy Filkin

Greetings...

I have a canon A1 ang from time to time the shutter looks up, the image in the viewfinder stays a little darker and the focus ring goes black. I advance the film and its back to normal. This morning i tested it without the lens, the shutter stayed open for two seconds and then closes. The photo winds up one side lighter than the other (see attached file) .. user error or? Thanks5776102_5776102-R1-026-11A.thumb.jpg.f0218f50bb1149babb679e1fc39289b4.jpg

This looks like the second shutter blind not closing smoothly. The different exposure suggests the blind pauses half-way across, so it shouldn't be a problem with the electromagnets that release the blinds. The dark microprism ring suggests the aperture isn't opening back up either, but that may well be caused by the shutter problem.<p>

If you are really fond of the camera, and can find a place near you to do service on it, and can afford to, I'd get it checked professionally.<p>

I have once fished a scrap of torn film out from the space where the shutter runs, in one of my SLRs. The shutter had made an unusual noise when running, and when I looked I could see the edge of the scrap, so I didn't have to dismantle anything, just pull gently with tweezers. It may be worth seeing what you can see in the back.

I Am happy with my pentax k1000, bought it off ebay and had camerworks check it out. Between what i paid for the camera and paid to have it tuned up, i have no desire to fix the a1. If i did that, i could have bought a newfangled digital. Maybe i will trade in the canon for a k mount lens... or trade it all as a down payment on a new one or...