Canon 5D Mark III Architectural Model Photography Advice

lewis_martin

Hi,

I need a solution to a problem which keeps arising when I photograph architectural models. There comes a point when the large lenses

can't quite get that eye level shot I need. The iPhone gives you the perfect angle, and as the lens is on the edge of the phone you can get

it into spots you just could never get a LF lens.

I want the quality of my Mark III with the ability of getting into small spaces and getting shots of the architectural models which make it

look real, especially when it comes to interior models. I make do with the use focus stacking at the moment with a wide angle lens which

works but has huge limitations, the lenses usually damage the model as I try to get too close.

Would a relay lens work? Is there such a camera exists? Are there any speciality lens adapters that would allow me to use something to

get into tiny spaces such as a type of endoscope. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<p>Canon makes a mirrorless, the EOS-M. It's tiny and can use the lenses you already have.</p>

<p>I'm sure many of them can be used tethered, but I don't know which ones or any details. I think almost all of them shoot RAW.</p>

<p>Another option is a mirror. Get a small high quality mirror, set it up on a stand at a 45 degree angle, and shoot from straight above with your existing camera. You'd have to swap right and left in post. It might work fine.</p>

<p>I've just been playing around with my GX7 and 45-175 lens - which has Power Zoom - using my iPad Mini, and I am able to focus on different parts of the image and zoom in and out. I realise that the 45-175 (90 to 350 equivalent on full-frame) would not be suitable for your current purposes but I assume this would also work with the 14-42 lens. </p>

<p>Long ago I used to photograph architectural models in the course of my work and in fact they were all models of interiors that had to be photographed so as to simulate the eye level of a person in the actual building. Sometimes the model maker arranged for parts of the side to be removeable and I used a small camera in that case, but never simulated a true eye level. Sometimes in those cases and always when the side was not removeable I used a modelscope. The modelscope is intended for viewing models in this context. It is a type of endoscope with a prism at the end to provide the right angled view. <br>

There are AFAIK two types. The one I used was primarily for viewing by eye, but came with a set of adaptors to fit lens filter threads. I had to fit the camera to a copy stand because the effective aperture was about F/90! With a 35mm camera the modelscope provided a circular image cut off at top and bottom. I can't remember the lens I used, but it was probably 50mm. I also used a 6x7 SLR and got a circular image within the frame using a 80mm lens. Framing was difficult and I had to use high level supplementary lighting. With the 6x7 I used a Polaroid back to assess exposure and framing.<br>

The other type of modelscope, that I have never seen, I believe has some sort of mounting arrangement itself specifically for photography.<br>

I do not know the manufacturer of the model I used, which belonged to my company and was primarily for clients to view the models. It was simply marked "Made in Paris". <br>

I do not know your location, but the modelscope was bought from an architectural model making business in London called Thorpe Model Makers. They were then in Gray's Inn Road, but I think they later moved.<br>

I found using the modelscope very troublesome.</p>

<p>I agree the gopro is no 5d, and I considered it a toy until I recently got one. The ability to use the gopro wifi/app on my android tablet to work the gopro has changed my thinking a bit.</p>

<p>The exercise Charles describes above sounds like a labor of love. Lewis, just have the architects build the models to 1/16 scale, they'll appreciate that. (I work with architects a lot and love to give them a hard time)</p>

<p>Lewis, it looks like someone didn't know how to attach their mono-pod correctly to the camera. ;-) I've never seen one of those before. Is there a lot vignetting? I guess if you can get it to work let us know. Can you get it to work in manual mode? Cool idea though.</p>
Cheers, Mark

<p>yeah I'm looking forward to some pics from the model scope, I thought my fd macrophoto lenses setup on autobellows was crazy but that thing beats it...looks crazy. Here's a link to an interesting article I saw a while back, model photography where the guy is shooting cars etc combined with existing streetscape. </p>

<p>http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/10/forced-perspective-model-car-photos/</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Dear Lewis,<br>

Please could I ask what the model number and manufacturer is of the modelscope you purchased for use with your Nikon?<br>

I am an architecture student and sadly cannot find a modelscope for sale anywhere - vintage or otherwise - aside from flexible USB boroscopes and endoscopes which are viewed either with a hand-held monitor or computer screen via USB.<br>

Thank you very much in advance.</p>