Canon 40d for Sports

My old Nikon N6006 and 28-85/3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor was fast enough for catching action at skateboard parks. Surely the equipment you're considering, more than 15 years more up to date, is capable of at least that much.

Technique, anticipation, practice, etc., are at least as important as the equipment. If six months to a year from now you find yourself missing shots when you've completely mastered the game and the equipment you have, that's the time to consider other equipment.

Depends how close you can get to the subject, it's not a very long lens and not very fast if you don't have great light to freeze action in...so erm, something longer and faster.

I started on that lens with my 350D, I now have a 40D and a 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM which I have covered martial arts and football from the sidelines with....and a 300mm F/4 L and covered rugby from the stands (with a 1.4x and 2x teleconvertor) obviously the latter combo isn't very fast either and you become more at the mercy of the light. I also got by shooting field hockey in the sunshine with a 70-300mm at the time. I believe serious sports photographers who can't afford not to get the shots would typically use a 70-200 2.8 on one body with a longer lens on another body.

But like Lex says, basically try shooting with what you have and if it turns out you can't get the results you want and it's down to kit then upgrade...as I did with my 17-85 ;)