Canon 24-105

simon_t1

<p>I have recently bought the 7D which is heavier than my current 50D, so if I add the 24-70 it will be much heavier. So I'm considering the 24-105 L to reduce weight,<br />How is the focusing efficiency indoors having an f4 aperture.<br />Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>A bit off-topic, but only to state the obvious: if weight is an issue, there are several other lenses that come to mind, such as the various 17-5X/2.8 incarnations on the market, Canon's and especially Tamron's included. If you're fine with f/4 -- no focus issues here! -- you might also want to look at Canon's 17-40/4L which is surprisingly light.</p>

<p>I have had both and currently have the 24-70. I prefer the 24-70 but apart from the loss of IS and the lack of the F2.8 aperture there is little to choose betwen them on an APS-C body (On full frame I found the 24-70 to be sharper at the edges). In terms of focusing speed the 24-70 may be slightly faster but it is not something you really notice. I assume that you are chosing the full frame standard zoom range based on your needs but I will add a general comment on my experience with the 7D (my first APS-C body). I find that while I use the 24-70 a lot on full frame (or APS-H) bodies I use it a lot less on the 7D. Indeed the two lens kit I carry with the 7D is usually the 16-35 f2.8 II and a 70-200 zoom (usually the F4 IS if I am not shooting sports). For me a standaerd zoom for the 7D would be the 16-35 or 17-40. If I wanted an EF-S lens then the 17-55 F2.8 would be a possible choice.</p>

<p>What are you using this combo for? The 24-105 while smaller and lighter is still not exactly tiny but its an excellent lens. You may want to consider something starting in the 15-18 mm range on a 7D. I was frustrated with this lens on a 40D and I did not really like it until I went full frame. </p>

<p>I've used my 24-105 with my current 7D, and with my old 20D before it, and AF works very nicely. You won't get the advantage of the high-precision centre point on the 7D, since that requires an f/2.8 (or faster) lens, but for most people in most situations that's not a big deal.</p>

<p>I'd echo what others have said: if you haven't already tried this lens, get your hands on it before you buy it. It's smaller and lighter than the 24-70, yes, but it's definitely not tiny or a featherweight; it's a solidly-built pro-quality lens and that's reflected in its weight.</p>

<p>Thanks very much for all your help.<br>

I already have expirience with the 24-70. But Imagine the body, the 27-70 a flash and the possibility of a grip wow. Still I might get used to the weight by time.<br>

I was asked the use of the lens, well its for people indoor such as churches and other indoor.<br>

I do not live near a store that stocks the lens, so trying out is difficult.</p>

<p>The 7D and 24-105mm F4 L IS is an excellent combo. Plus it's cheaper and can be had sometimes for around $800 used and in very good condition.<br>

It also really depends on your shooting style too. If you prefer to get closer up, then go with the 24-70. If you want to get a bit further from your subjects, then use the 24-105.<br>

I just got my 7D and am in the middle of testing it. It held up decently well at the NYC pillow fight recently: http://thephoblographer.com/2010/04/07/field-review-canon-7d-day-2-nyc-pillow-fight-2010/<br>

But besides this, I saw some mentioning of the autofocus as well. You need to consider the fact that the 7D's autofocus has been totally revamped and isn't something as slow as the 5D Mk II's or something so the millisecond shouldn't make a difference if your timing is great anyway.<br>

The 24-105mm can actually live on your camera. I can shoot at 105mm as low down as an 8th of a second at ISO 6400 and get steady and excellent photos. It's my favorite lens and though I've considered selling at some points in my photography career, I'm glad I haven't.<br>

If you want smaller though, just take two primes with you: a 50mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 should do fine.</p>

<p>The weight difference between the 24-105mm and 24-70mm does not seem significant on paper, but walking around the streets every once makes a difference. I'm using the 24-105mm whenever I travel, and I couldn't be more pleased with the optical performance. It has tack sharp performance on its own merit (I'm not comparing with other lenses), and my main reason for choosing this lens over the 24-70mm f/2.8 L is the focal length and the availability of image stabilization.</p>

<p>The focal length is more useful for me when shooting in the streets. That said, I'm using a EOS 5D Mk II with FF sensor, so your mileage may vary with a 7D. I like being able to shoot wide at 24mm, and being able to reach a short telephoto of 105mm is tremendously useful for me so as to avoid changing lenses. I pair this lens up with a 70-200mm f/4 IS L, which is good enough for 80% of my travel photography.</p>

<p>I like this lens enough to write a review on it at http://www.nelsontan.com/reviewspage/EF24-105mm.html. Feel free to check it out before deciding on your lens choice.</p>

<p>Nice review Nelson, thanks.<br>

Just received the 7D yesterday, what a camera. Everything seems well layed out and the new features which I call tools are very usefull. It keeps reminding me of the EOS 3, when it came out it turned heads.<br>

I definately need a lighter lens than the 24-70mm. So I most probably add the 24-105mm. The range also looks very advantagious.<br>

Thanks to all.</p>