Cameraquest?

steve_levine

<p>As the others have said, Steve Gandy is still doing business at the same place.</p>

<p>But how did you manage to ask Mr. Google and not get the right answer? When I hand him "CameraQuest" as a clue, the very first response has the link that the others have provided. Maybe something wrong with your setup, router, etc.?</p>

<p>FYI , Steve is the main force helping the www.rangefinderforum.com give the most comprehensive rangefinder forums for each type and brand of rangefinder cameras in existance. Anything from fixed lens rf to collectibles and medium format and MF folder rf are each given their own forums.<br>

Not only that but Bessa, Zeiss, Contax, Nikon and of course Leica (has several forums) each has their dedicated forums. A nice place to hang out when not on PNET.</p>

<p>Yes, that is why I don't read it anymore...who wants to sift through 50 different subcategories, many of which only get updated every few days (or weeks)? I liked it better when Jorge was in charge...<br>

Anyway....CameraQuest is still a great resource for people, it is important to remember however that he also sells voigtlander stuff and adapters, so it is sometimes worth it to take it with a grain of salt. </p>

<p>Why would stephen's sales of voigtlander "stuff and adapters" have anything to do with your trust of the information he provides? He is a distributor for Cosina in the USA and Canada, of course he would sell adapters. Apart from the fact that along with providing us with a source for voigtlander, zeiss and leica products, stephen also provides us with a wealth of information.</p>

<p>"it is important to remember however that he also sells voigtlander stuff and adapters, so it is sometimes worth it to take it with a grain of salt.".........</p>

<p>I think that you have some sort of agenda against Stephen Gandi or Camera Quest, in my honest opinion.<br>

He provides a LOT of great information,and not necessary about Voigtlander cameras,adapters and "stuff".<br>

You better come clean and speak out honestly what is your point.</p>

<p>RA</p>

<p>". . . it is important to remember however that he also sells voigtlander stuff and adapters, so it is sometimes worth it to take it with a grain of salt"</p>

<p>I'd say that remark of Stuart's is not at all out of line. Gandy's site is a terrific resource. I read it frequently, and I even buy things from CameraQuest (and have no complaints about my purchases). </p>

<p>It remains true that a certain amount of what appears there is sales pitch, and no more. So what? Accept that for what it is, digest the real information that Gandy provides and be grateful.</p>

<p>I find the web site to not overtly blow his trumpet, in fact some of his other sponsors are his competition.<br>

Its because Steven is so knowledgeable that I think he knows that Mr. K is selling a very good product for a price one can afford only to buy a 30 year old Leica for.<br>

For me the Voightlander is for someone who just wants to have a new kit that doesn't want to worry about his gear getting stolen when they see the Red Leica bullseye. You can get your gear beat up and get your picture without suffering that you have diminished its worth, The CV is just a camera not a treasure.<br>

Steven lets anyone have their say just read and you will see good and bad said about the stuff he imports but the good on the gear far outweighs the bad. Look if it were Leica gear it would cost 5-10 times as much. Zeiss gets lots of play and I don't believe Steven is any longer an Official importer of Zeiss. But Zeiss is given its due, no attempt to bad mouth the brand or sway people to Bessa.<br>

Of course their is a link to Cameraquest but not much more.</p>

<p>I have no agenda at all. I don't sell any products or promote any products for any reason other than my own personal preference. I have no personal agenda against CameraQuest at all. I just meant to say two things -- 1. I did not like the direction RangeFinder Forum took when Stephen Gandy took over -- the proliferation of categories made it unwieldy and less interesting to browse for me, among other changes. 2. When you are getting your information about something from someone who is also selling those items, you need to be aware that they have an inbuilt bias towards those items. What you are reading is marketing material -- it may be honest and useful, but it is going to display things in a favorable light. I only meant to point this out, since sometimes the lines are quite blurred on the internet. </p>

<p>Their site was down for a while the last few days while they were updating some sort of computer thing I think, but I think it's up now. Still not sure why google missed his links, but even Mr. Google has bad days. Comments on Gandy tend to follow the Ken Rockwell pattern (in a smaller way), so I'll simply say it's an interesting site w/ interesting members and leave it at that.</p>