Camera and Lens insurance possible? How to take?

<p>I guess it depends upon where you live. I'm in Canada and used to have a separate rider on my home insurance policy, listing all of the gear I wanted insured, with their serial numbers and amount of insurance wanted; note this was replacement cost and not the actual current value of the gear.</p>

<p>The policy would cover theft, and damage and maybe other things. Many years ago I knocked my tripod over accidentally, with a film camera and motor drive mounted. The battery drawer on the motor drive was the only thing damaged, so I put in a claim. I submitted a quote for a new one from a camera store and was prompty paid by my insurance company. I assume similar riders or separate policies might be available elsewhere. I paid so much per $100.00 insured per year.</p>

<p>When I got into digital, I was upgrading semi regularly and my insurance policy seemed to be always out of date. So I dropped coverage a few years ago.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think the homeowners policy might be the way to go, just make sure that it covers theft / loss when you are traveling, both in country and out of the country. Some policies don't cover theft / loss when traveling overseas.</p>

<p>There are camera insurance policies that you can buy, but make sure you read the fine print. The ones that I've looked at have exclusions that thefts must</p>

<ul>

<li>Have a police report</li>

<li>Show signs of a physical breakin</li>

</ul>

<p>This is problematic - you are not covered for cases like</p>

<ul>

<li>Someone robs you on the street</li>

<li>Someone at the hotel - a maid or maintenance person uses their master key to get into your room</li>

<li>Some uses a coat hanger or slim jim to get into your car without breaking a window</li>

</ul>

<p> </p>

<p>I got a personal items policy for my gear, it covers up to $3,000 per individual item, up to $15,000 total, per claim. It covers everything...accidents, theft, loss, worldwide. It cost $26/year with Allstate. They priced out a rider for my homeowner's policy, which waived the dollar limits, but came out to $185/year. Since I don't have any items worth $3,000, and all my gear is less than $15,000, I saw no reason to go with the more expensive policy.</p>

<p>A rider for scheduled property can be attached to a homeowner's policy in the USA as well.<br /> Often, separate or attached insurance is available in the form of a "personal property floater" insurance of the type used by renters. Depending on how much you want to pay, you can get special coverage like "mysterious disappearance" and against damage.</p>

<p>Of course, where you live and where you are going to be traveling makes a big difference in what kind of insurance you get and how much it costs. Big London firms like Lloyd's used to insure <em>anything</em>, like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Grable">Betty Grable's legs</a>, most famously; but the situation got a little complicated a few years ago and many of the "Names" were bankrupted by asbestos claims.</p>

<p>The policy that is presented on the website has a very specific exclusion</p>

<p>

<p>

<p>"Theft and mysterious disappearance claims are covered<br>

as long as there are signs of forced entry"</p>

<p>This means is some used a shim to get into your car and didn't break a window, you're not covered.<br>

<br />This means is someone got a master key to the hotel where you're staying and didn't have to kick down the door, you're not covered.</p>

</p>

</p>