I've just finished scanning a roll of Kodak Imagelink HQ shot at EI 50 in a Minolta 16 camera, developed in what I call Caffenol LC. Gradation is excellent, though I don't think the toe speed is actually 50 (OTOH, with reduced agitation and longer development I expect it will get there). This film is much like Tech Pan -- it's a high contrast microfilm stock, normal pictorial EI of 25 with low contrast developers like POTA or Technidol, and EI 50 with TD-3; I've previously developed it for EI 50 in HC-110 Dilution G with good results, but less sharpness than I wanted. This time, based on my reading in Anchell & Troop, I reduced the amount of coffee by half relative to standard Caffenol, while keeping the sodium carbonate constant. In a 60 ml batch for the small capacity tank I made for Minolta 16 films, that came to 1/2 tsp of each ingredient. I gave twenty minutes at 71 F (room temperature) with five slow inversions, about fifteen seconds, every two minutes after constant inversion the first minute. Four changes of water, ten inversions each, served as stop bath, followed by three minutes in Ilford Rapid Fixer and an Ilford water conserving wash. Results are excellent; there is almost no general stain (as is found on conventional films in Caffenol), and though the images look thin (as they always do on the crystal clear microfilm base), there is good shadow detail, excellent gradation, and a good range (about like what I'd expect with a one stop push on Tri-X); in addition, sharpness appears significantly improved over the HC-110 I've used previously, while grain is still too small to show at my 2400 ppi optical scanning limit; with this film, even in an accutance type developer, grain shouldn't be an issue up to around 8x10 from a 10x14 mm negative. There were thin spots on the first few negatives in the roll, that I believe were due to tiny air bubbles that didn't get dislodged in the initial agitation; only the first three frames are affected, so it's not a general chemistry related problem. My suspicion is that I didn't let the developer sit long enough to clear microbubbles incorporated from the coffee and carbonate granules during mixing; next time, I'll let the mixed developer stand for ten minutes after mixing is completed. Next roll, I'll increase the carbonate by 50%, to get closer to the low contrast formulae in Anchell & Troop, and presumably shorten developing time with the increase in alkalinity. I'll also reduce agitation, going to three or even five minute cycles to increase compensation and allow the shadows to come up more without blocking highlights; that should get me to a true speed of EI 50. Soon, I'll try the same thing with Copex Rapid at EI 100; if it works well, this developer is a little cheaper than homebrewed H&W Control, and a lot cheaper than SPUR developers or Bluefire HR, as well as being much more accessible. It's also a great deal cheaper than Technidol, and should work as well on Tech Pan as it does on Imagelink HQ.