Buying the Correct Equipment: Does the Camera Make the Photographer, or the Photographer Make the Camera?

<p>Hello All,<br>

I took a couple of B&W Photography classes while in college studying to be a high school English teacher. I have thought about photography as a business for some time now, but have become serious recently after one year of substitute teaching and one year of teaching under poor administration with lack of support. I enjoy young people and have always been interested in photography and art, so I am thinking about combining those two things in order to make a living. I know it will not be easy as there are many facets to a photography business (or any business, for that matter). I have read enough of these forums to realize that in order to start out, one must be willing to foot a considerable amount of money in start-up costs. I've read all sorts of opinions on this matter, and they vary greatly, but due to my financial situation (only one year of steady work post-college after graduating in 2010), I cannot afford to start off with much more than $4,000 in start up costs. I would be an on-location photographer, working from my home, for the time being.</p>

<p>All of my training has been on a 35mm SLR camera...and I have a lot of catching up to do since I have no experience with DSLRs whatsoever. I also do not own nor have I had any sort of training or experience with Photoshop or Lightroom or other comparable software (I used developer and stop bath in the past). Additionally, I would like to purchase a new computer in order to work with as my personal computer is outdated and probably cannot support my workload. These are all equipment expenses that will quickly use up my start-up money. </p>

<p>My 35mm camera is a Pentx and I have been looking at the Pentax-r DSLR. I know this is not considered a "professional" camera and is recommended for serious amateurs or photography enthusiasts. Would it be reasonable to purchase this model or one in a similar price range to start out with? After a few years (or perhaps fewer), I would replace it with a better model and use the other one as a backup. With traditional 35mm photography, I was always taught that the bells and whistles weren't as important, as long as you have a solid and reliable piece of equipment with basic features. What's most important is the skill, knowledge, and creative eye of the photographer. I know I will need some more training (self-taught and otherwise) before I am able to start charging for my work and growing a business, and a camera such as this one seems more reasonable than to spend thousands of dollars on features that I know nothing about.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Does hardware matter? Sure, but if it were all that mattered, every Leica shooter would be better than Ansel Adams (who shot 35mm with a Contax, anyhow).</p>

<p>You can teach yourself a lot, but if you really want to get up to speed to be competitive you will probably do better to consider some kind of organized, systematic training program. </p>

<p>Just Photoshop alone can be a career, much less all the other fine points of computers and digital cameras.</p>

<p>If you still have your "day job" - keep it until you have got the training. Who knows, once you discover all the stuff you need to use in today's photography marketplace, you may decide it's not really what you want after all.</p>

<p>Being a professional photographer these days is tough. Computer graphics is eating into many traditional areas like product photography, and everybody with a digital SLR is a wedding photographer, or think they are. </p>

<p>Yes, Leslie, I would definitely agree that marketing and business skills are very important with any kind of business.<br>

JDM, I would like to become a professional photographer...I don't think that I already am one. :) I've encountered many folks who have been to school and therefore think they know everything there is to know about teaching. And yes, I agree that some formal training would be incredibly beneficial.</p>

<p>If you are going to take some classes, be sure some are business courses (maybe as simple as how to use Quickbooks) and some marketing courses. Because even the best photographer with the best equipment has to go out and sell themselves to get work.</p>

<p>In this day with so many people with DSLRs who think they are "professional photographers" and who are willing to shoot for cheap or even free, the successful photographer must differentiate them self through the quality, professionalism, and ability to deliver. None of which do you learn in a classroom.</p>

<p>Frankly, after struggling to get my photography business going for almost 3 years, I don't recommend that anyone quit their day job to become a photographer. I wish I had kept mine.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>I think you should stop thinking about what is perceived as professional and focus on what you feel inspired by. So much of the body and lens combination is about the feel of the camera and how it handles under your usual shooting conditions. When you are happy with this it doesn't matter what you are shooting with.</p>

<p>Amanda:</p>

<p>It used to be that a camera was just a light tight box. That's no longer the case.</p>

<p>What kind of photography do you want to do? If you're doing portraiture in controlled locations, then any dSLR you buy will be more than up for the task. If you're shooting fast action sports in low light, then you'll most likely want to look at a body with low noise at high ISO, as well as fast autofocus. If you're shooting weddings, you probably don't want to show up with what is perceived as a non-professional camera because there will be several well-heeled amateurs with better equipment.</p>

<p>It's more important to have backup equipment than the latest. If your choice is between two $1000 bodies vs one $2000 one, then either go with the two $1000s or a $500 and a $1500.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As an English major I would ask you-Does the typewriter/word processor make the writer, or does the writer make the typewriter? OK not quite the same but you get my point. I have always found word processors to be somewhat complex and filled with tons of technical wizardry I knew I would never use, yet If I want to write, I had to learn about them. Cameras aren't too different.<br>

<br>

In photography, good digital camera equipment is expensive and seems complex. It is, initially anyway. As is all the other stuff-lighting, computers, imaging software, storage, website building, running a photo business etc. There is a lot to learn, in addition to making salable quality pictures ON DEMAND, but it's doable. You need passion, practice and focused determination and unfailing persistence. In other words...not easy. Please note there no mention of equipment. Good gear helps but it's the heart, mind and creative soul of the person behind the camera that is more important.</p>

<p>Take a hard look at your finances, buy the best gear you can afford, learn it, study hard, find a mentor and work your tail off. Assist with a pro if you can. Keep the day job for now while you come up to speed. Success is out there if you really want it. </p>

<p>A good photographer can make good pictures with any brand of camera. And if you were just going to shoot as a hobby I'd say buy anything you want. But if you are going into photography as a business, it does matter. Just because of marketing and market share -- not because they are any better or worse than other brands -- the vast majority of professional photographers who work with DSLRs use either Nikon or Canon. If you get a job assisting, second-shooting, subcontracting, etc., and you use Nikon/Canon, you've got at least a 50/50 shot you'll have the same gear as your boss and be able to swap bodies, lenses, flashes, accessories, etc., back and forth. If there's a third-party lens you want, almost everything is made for Nikon or Canon but not necessarily for other brands. And most of all, it is very common in professional work to rent equipment, either something you can't yet afford when you're beginning or something you don't need everyday even when you're established. And rental houses simply don't carry anything other than Nikon and Canon. Same goes with a loaner during repairs. Don't think you'll buy Pentax, for example, now, and Nikon/Canon later. You just end up spending money twice. When you buy a camera you're choosing a system that you will be tied to or years because once you've got $10,000 in lenses you can't decide on a whim you want another brand of body without replacing it all. Think long and hard before putting down your money.</p>

<p>Having a salesmanship attitude will go far. </p>

<p>Having a *eye* for a photographic subject and style will also go far.</p>

<p>You may wish to start small: one flash unit, two lenses, and a digital camera body. Using your skill at getting customers and collecting payment will allow you to continue growing in the photography business. There may be a group of retired business folks in your area that may be willing to help you get a business plan together. [i would not advise you to get $4,000 invested in equipment to start because if you do not secure a number of customers, you will have a tough time in recovering your investment.]</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi Amanda<br>

Nothing wrong with the Kr I have been using one for a while now. Yes, it is basically an entry level camera, that said, it still produces fine photos. It will also leave you some cash for some lighting and other accessories. <br>

I put skill before technology. The tech is fine for those that like one-up-manship, or feel that the latest Nikon around their neck is the last word in techno bling. Don't get me wrong, Nikon makes superb cameras. I used one (film) for years, but, there are an awful lot of badly framed, poorly composed, over/under exposed and just plain sad photos that come from high end cameras that were bought because they make the buyer feel like a pro.<br>

The truth is that I shoot RAW Manual 90% of the time, the other 10% I use RAW auto focus. <br>

The camera is only a tool to capture light. Creativity is knowing what light to capture. </p>

<p>1. Identify what it is about photography that makes you passionate.<br>

2. Identify how you make money doing that (shooting landscapes is hard to make money at, shooting weddings is a lot easier - assuming you are good at business).<br>

3. Research the business side of your chosen field of photography. (where will you find clients and how will you sell images).<br>

4. Create a portfolio (if you haven't already).<br>

5. Don't buy stuff you don't need. Having numerous spare batteries and memory cards is more important than having the biggest camera and most expensive flash.</p>

<p>And to answer your initial question. The photographer makes the camera but sometime the camera is an essential tool. A great photographer can take street photos with a P&S, an entry level DSLR or a pro level 1D - but to be a pro field sports (football etc) photographer you need a minimum level of kit. The market demands images that only a big fat lens will produce.</p>

<p> Louis is right. I bought my first Leica 60 years ago, but am now taking better photos with an entry level Nikon DSLR. That camera, extra modest lenses, a $300 computer, and an old version of Photoshop Elements produce more than a large accumulation of quality film gear. Learn to use light, and avoid using a flash on the camera whenever possible. Rembrandt and Vermeer got by without such light, and they were better than almost any portrait artist today. Expensive euipment, like prestigious diplomas, initially impress some people. Ultimately, it's the photographs that matter. Take the best photos you can. Associate with other photographers in person or online. Get critiques from a variety of competent photographers. Enjoy their praise, but it is often vapid. Treasure negative comments; they teach the best.</p>

<p>If I didn't know better I would call you a troll. :)</p>

<p>This is a question that always brings out both fervent opinion an dblatant bigotry. Having an "eye" is essential, but so is having equipment that will faciltate fulfillment of that vision. There is a lower limit for equipment depending on the vision... and the skills of the photographer.</p>

<p>It depends is the answer -- depends on vision, skill, and (to a certain degree) finances and ego. Everyone has their ownb combinationof htese qualities so you need to soul-search and find out what yours are.</p>

<p>Thank you for all of the responses. There is, as with anything, disagreement on some points, but based on responses it seems to me that overall technical skill is important, business skills and marketing are very important, and depending on who you ask, the camera and equipment can be important but not the most important. No black and white here. Anyway, I am in a researching/learning phase so I have lots to think about. And of course anytime a person wants to be successful and good at something there is no such thing as an easy ride, so elbow grease and determination is important, and even then, does not guarantee success.</p>