Brooks Institute?

ianlee

<p>So I am planning to go to a colleges that teaches photography professionally, and I also want to get a degree on it. I am planning to be a wedding photographer or work in a studio. Is anyone here attending this school or have attended? Can you tell me the pros and the cons about it?<br>

Moreover, since I want to become a professional wedding photographer, is it MUCH better for you to have a degree? How long does it take to finish a bachelor AND master?<br />And I heard it's REALLY expensive, how much does it cost to finish a bachelor and master? And also how long does it take to finish them?<br>

If anyone can offer me any information on this institute, I would be very VERY appreciative.<br>

THANK YOU!! (:</p>

<p>My thought is that there are very few things in life that are improved by a college education, and I don't think that being a wedding photographer would be one of them. I've never shot a wedding professionally, but I can't see a prospective bridge and groom asking to see your diploma. They'll want to see your portfolio instead.</p>

<p>Maybe...something like photojournalism might benefit from a degree, but even then I think they'd value experience and ability over a degree.</p>

<p>As a former Brooks instructor I have some thoughts.</p>

<p>First, the thread that Hector referred to is mostly filled with people who don't have any knowledge about the subject-just observations and conjecture. After seven years of teaching there, I've seen students who had no business attending college, some students who were interested in photography, but not driven by photography and some who were incredibly driven to succeed in the field-and everyone in between.</p>

<p>If you aren't driven to succeed in photography, it is difficult to thrive at a place like Brooks (this includes Art Center, Cal Arts, RIT, etc.). The ones who don't do the extra work may graduate, but won't have all the tools to make the business succeed-they can learn that part on the job, but that is just extra time, expense and a gamble. You pay a lot of money to go to a place that gives you opportunities (knowledge, experience before working, contacts, meeting top working photographers, etc.) so it would be a shame to not take advantage of it-but a lot of students do just that. They think that just by attending Brooks they will magically become successful photographers.</p>

<p>David's assertion that a degree won't help is partially correct-a prospective client doesn't care about your degree, but an education can help some people. Brooks is extremely good with teaching the technical foundations of photography. This will allow you to learn how to operate your camera to get the best physical characteristics of the photograph so that you can use your creativity to get the best aesthetics and context. Some people self-learn extremely well, but many others don't know where to start. Also, self-learning is only as good as your teacher/website/forum participant-put your faith in the wrong person and you will learn a lot of bad habits and poor technique. Brooks has some weaknesses, but this isn't one of them. The instructors know their stuff and the curriculum is extremely well thought out.</p>

<p>Tim Meyer, head of the portrait division and developer of the wedding and event program is very serious about preparing students for the profession. I worked closely with him when I was converting the Lighting People class from film to digital. It took a year of looking at all possible alternatives and details in order to make sure the lessons and assignments would best take advantage of digital photography. Tim was dedicated to testing out the possibilities and consulting with his friends in the wedding and portrait industry to get their feedback.</p>

<p>As mentioned, it is a new program, but based on my knowledge of Tim's thorough planning, I have confidence in what is in the curriculum.</p>

<p>You mentioned both a bachelor's and master's degree. I personally think that would be a waste of time and money. Brooks is known for the quality of their bachelor's programs. The master's program was recently changed from an MS program to and MFA and this took them out of their strength. Besides, a good MFA will NOT prepare a person for a profession-that isn't its purpose.</p>

<p>In Hector's thread, the OP mentioned an experience with the admissions staff-one of the biggest issues (problems) with Brooks is that the admissions staff is independent of the educational staff/faculty. They tend to use high pressure tactics. But if you really want to go to school @ Brooks, you just have to deal with them for a short time.</p>

<p>Living expenses and cost of shooting can be high to extremely high (this is on top of the tuition). Try to get as many grants as possible rather than just relying on student loans. Living in Santa Barbara is very expensive, but 1/2 hour south is Ventura/Oxnard which is cheaper to live. Some pockets of SB area are cheaper, but they tend to be overrun with UCSB students and are not desirable.</p>

<p>One huge perk of Brooks is that you can check out a lot of equipment that you normally could not afford. This allows you the opportunity to see what equipment you might use in your profession. One question you don't hear from most Brooks students is "What equipment should I use?" (One of the mainstays of photo forums). You will know your needs by the time you leave school.</p>

<p>Try to contact Tim. He is extremely busy between teaching, running the Portrait division and the Wedding and Event program, but he can give you a much better perspective about the wedding certificate than anyone else. He knows it isn't for everyone so he won't sell you unconditionally (like the admissions staff).</p>