the "right" book on photography composition, which would be worth

reading by a beginner, but would not be limited to the simple things

only. I've tried to get Image: Designing Effective Pictures by

Michael Freeman, however, unsuccessfully. And now I doubt whether I

still have to keep searching for this book (whether it is indeed so

good to be irreplacable?) or are there any alternatives? In order to

find a reasonable solution, I decided refer to you, photo

enthusiasts - what would you recommend for me? I would really

appreciate any comments and suggestions.

You are asking about books on photographic composition. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions but I feel so strongly about this subject that I couldn't resist giving you my view. Most of the books I have seen on composition suggest rules as to how your pictures should be constructed. That's a mistake IMO. Trust what looks right to you and forget what others think. With that said I try to keep a few thoughts in mind as I organize a picture on the ground glass: most pictures benefit by moving closer to your subject/once you think you're close enough consider moving even closer/ now start eliminating distracting elements (look behind the subject and in every corner and along the edges of the frame)/keep the image simple. Now go out and have fun.

The Tao of Photography: Seeing beyond Seeing

Philippe L. Gross, S. I. Shapiro

This book is great because it helps you learn how to feel the photograph that you are taking and base the composition on the interaction between you the photographer and the subject. It is big on not following the "rules" necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Marius:

There are several books available either new or used that you can read. First, your quest to get Michael Freeman's book should end in a visit to www.alibris.com where you would get several used copies of this out-of-print book starting from US$ 99.50 and above.

Secondly, you can read two very good books by Andreas Feininger--1) Principles of Composition and Photographic Seeing (both out-of-print now but avbl at www.alibris.com).

Next, try out Photographic Composition by Ben Clements & David Rosenfeld and also On Photographic Composition by Otto Litzel (again both out-of-print books but avbl at www.alibris.com till last visited).

Consider reading Designing a Photograph by Bill Smith, this is avbl at amazon.com and also at many other online or physical shops. Good stuff.

I have also found Pictorial Composition By Henry Poore quite useful. The initial chapters of Photographic Composition By Grill and Scanlon are good but later ones are no good.

There are some composition books that you should avoid so that you dont waste your time. 1) John Freeman - Photographic Composition and 2) Composition Technique From a Master Photographer by Ernst Wildi

I have personally ordered and imported to Calcutta, India some of the above books from alibris.com, they are dependable.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks.

I want to thank the photo.net members who suggested books by Feininger. I was not aware he had written instructional books on photography -- it seems they have been out of print for a while.

Just checked "Total Photography" out of the library and am blown away. In my opinion, a book like London and Upton's "Photography" is a better photo primer because of its profuse illustrations, photos, and chart. However, the TEXT of the Feininger's "Total Photograpy" is really inspiring. While he pays due respect to technique, he really emphasizes the value of seeing and thinking in a fresh and creative manner. The book is clearly written and very smart. At the end of the book, he has a chapter that suggest 21 assignments to help a photographer master depth of field, etc.

I've just ordered his book on photographic composition from a used book seller. I wish the original published would re-issue his books.

What a gem!! Thanks again to the educated and well read members of Photo.net.

• 1 month later...
I have recently purchased Design Basics by David Lauer et al. This is in my opinion by far the best book I have read on two-dimensional design and composition in visual art forms. It contains all those concepts like lines, rhythm, balance etc. and the book is amply illustrated. Worth every penny.

• 4 years later...