Blocking rumor sites

ariel_s1

<p>I am most active in the Nikon subforum of the site, but I also have a mirrorless system, so I go into that forum as well. In the Nikon forum, you guys have wisely banned links to sites such as NikonR*mors. However, you don't do anything about other rumor sites. For example, about two months ago, there were threads right before the RX1 came out, with threads discussing a "full frame NEX." It was the same rumormongering that led photo.net to ban the Ni-rumors links. Can the same be done to the sister sites? Sonyalpharumors, eosrumors, 43rumors, etc.</p>

<p>There were some rumor sites that were blocked due to spamming activity at one point. Those blocks have actually been removed, including nikonrumors.</p>

<p>While I can understand finding discussions about non-existant products annoying (there are any number of people who agree with you), the fact is that many people find such speculation enjoyable.</p>

<p>There are always going to be some topics that some people love and some people hate. Within reason (and the general rules of decency and site policy), I would prefer to allow those discussions and simply ask those who don't care about them to simply not click.</p>

<p>Josh, I just want to say thanks for your open minded approach. I like having the opportunity to read the posts and decide for myself whether a rumor seems feasible or not. We all do the same thing when someone says a lens or camera is great and someone else doesn't like it: We examine all the information we can access for ourselves and draw our own conclusions, and when we are finished, we go to another thread or turn off the computer. I personally find some of the vehemently one sided political posts on the off topic forum to be ill informed and often irritating to say the least, but I wouldn't think of suggesting people not have the chance to share their views with the members in this body with whom they have grown to respect and enjoy dialogue of all sorts. We all trust that the moderators will keep it civil, and we go from there. Thanks.</p>

<p><em>"I like having the opportunity to read the posts</em>" - and you have this opportunity. Just go there or elsewhere you want to read them. Do not propose Photo.net to promote or facilitate any unproven, misunderstood, harmfull, or a garbage information.</p>

<p>Those sites ideas discussed here in the past, cause to much of space, efforts, and time to correct and explain, ... this is something that Photo.net tries to avoid and prevent, and doing this righfully so.</p>

<p>"<em>open minded approach</em>" Photo.net ia as open minded as it can be, but must protect users and the net. Do not ask photo.net to open mind for garbage.</p>

<p>I think there are many other low value or controversial sites that photo.net could ban from facilitating or linking to, but Photo.net is after providing reliable photo information, and not after chasing after rogue internet sites of lesser importance.</p>

<p> </p>

"There are always going to be some topics that some people love and some people hate. Within reason (and the general rules of decency and site policy), I would prefer to allow those discussions and simply ask those who don't care about them to simply not click." -- Josh R.

When a thread title is useless or is misleading, as happens in just about every forum everyday, I cannot un-visit such a thread. So "simply not click"ing does not work most of the time.

It would be great if rumor discussion either gets their own forum or titles are marked/updated with "Rumor" at the start (of the title, possibly by a moderator) . I volunteer both to move the threads to a possible future "Rumor" forum or to tag the thread titles.

<p>I follow Nikon Rumors on Facebook and sometimes it is rewarding with first looks at lens schematics, recent patents by Nikon, etc. My impression is that, while their sources may not always be official (that is, "on the record"), they make a strong effort to get it right. And, I suggest, that they are useful to Nikon in the larger sense that they help build an audience and bring attention to Nikon products.</p>