"Blinking Sickness" returns on Safari on Mac

john_shriver

Any photo.net page constantly reloads with Safari 13.0.3 on Mac OS 10.13.6.

This was the case for YEARS after the site re-implementation. It finally went away and I was able to use it normally.

Yes, I tried clearing all photo.net cookies in Safari. Didn't help.

It still works with Firefox on Mac, but is it really worth the hassle?

Do you guys test? Do you care?

<snip>

Do you guys test? Do you care?

More to the point, do you expect any site to test every conceivable combination of hardware, software, OS and browser ? If, as usually happens, the vast majority have no problems, then resources can be directed to aid those who report specific issues - especially if those reports are couched in a polite, non-confrontational manner.

Just my half groat's worth.

Tony

• Like 1

do you expect any site to test every conceivable combination of hardware, software, OS and browser

No. But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope a site would test a fairly recent version of Mac's native browser.

the vast majority have no problems

I'd say the vast majority of users here have experienced a sub-par level of technical reliability to the point where most have either left or simply learned to put up with the inconvenience. I doubt most would characterize it as not being a problem.

those reports are couched in a polite, non-confrontational manner.

Generally, people "couch" things as a way of manipulating so as not to be direct. Some simply prefer an uncouched and candid communication.

In short, I can empathize with John's frustration and his presentation of it.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

FWIW, the problem went away for me for a while, but it returned last week. I fixed it by logging out and logging back in, although that wasn't easy.

I'm using Firefox 70.0.1 in macOS 10.13.6. In the past, I've been told it was due to an "outdated" browser, despite the fact that every time it's happened to me it's been with a version of Firefox that was at best a few weeks old.

Given that it's happened to someone else in Safari, I suspect it's not a browser-specific issue.

A couple of points, too:

1. Good web developers test their stuff in multiple common browsers. As the default browser for both iOS and macOS, Safari is definitely up there and is not exactly an obscure browser. Similarly, Firefox hovers somewhere around 2nd and 3rd place in installed base(it's not as popular of a desktop browser as Chrome, but is up there).

2. I've said many times-Xenforo is used all over the web. There's no shortage of people who know how to build functional Xenforo sites.

No. But I don't think it's unreasonable to hope a site would test a fairly recent version of Mac's native browser.

I'd say the vast majority of users here have experienced a sub-par level of technical reliability to the point where most have either left or simply learned to put up with the inconvenience. I doubt most would characterize it as not being a problem.

Generally, people "couch" things as a way of manipulating so as not to be direct. Some simply prefer an uncouched and candid communication.

In short, I can empathize with John's frustration and his presentation of it.

Many thanks for your comments. BTW, couched merely means a method of stating things, covering both language and approach.

Many thanks for your comments. BTW, couched merely means a method of stating things, covering both language and approach.

This is the definition and example given by various idiom dictionaries:

“To convey something very deliberately by saying it in a particular way or with particular wording.

That professor always manages to couch her criticism in kind words, so I'm never too upset by her negative feedback.”

One of the subtleties of couching something is to cover something up, to use words manipulatively. The reason to couch a criticism in kind words is to lessen the obvious sting of criticism. That is a manipulation by definition.

You might find this article on writing style interesting:

The Key to Persuasive Writing? Stop Couching!

"You talkin' to me?"

:rolleyes:

So how does this interface with couch potatoes?

I'm running High Sierra (lots of old software that still works fine for me), Firefox 70.0.1 on a 'ash-can' Mac Pro and I haven't had any of the old problems with Photo.net for at least a year now.

I run Safari (latest version always) just to see if it works after an upgrade, but have found no compelliing reason to leave Firefox.

So how does this interface with couch potatoes?

Perhaps only in the sense that "couch potato" is a way of couching the more direct "lazy." :)

In any case, if you want to learn more than you ever could have imagined about the derivation and various attributions of "couch potato," here's a 5-minute video (that may seem longer):

"You talkin' to me?"

This is the definition and example given by various idiom dictionaries:

“To convey something very deliberately by saying it in a particular way or with particular wording.

That professor always manages to couch her criticism in kind words, so I'm never too upset by her negative feedback.”

One of the subtleties of couching something is to cover something up, to use words manipulatively. The reason to couch a criticism in kind words is to lessen the obvious sting of criticism. That is a manipulation by definition.

You might find this article on writing style interesting:

The Key to Persuasive Writing? Stop Couching!

Thank you - again - for your comments.

• 2 weeks later...