BLANK FILM

skrew_face

<p>I Have An [Olympus XA2] And A [Canon SureShot 2], I have shot multiple rolls in both and they keeping coming back blank. I'm also new to film photography. I have both manuals and for the most part I think I've loaded the film properly. PLEASE HELP </p>

<p>Sarcasm indeed may not be the best way to deal with it, but the point about cross-posting is true, and clearly stated before making a post too. Given that <a href="/film-and-processing-forum/00duRT?unified_p=1">the other thread </a>has received useful follow-ups, it's better to continue there anyway.</p>

<p>Is the film advancing? Are you checking your exposure settings to see what shutter speeds and aperture being used? Are you using the correct ISO? Have you tried different places to get your film processed? Do you have negatives to look at? If there's something on the negative let someone else print your negatives to see if you can get a print? If you can see an image on the negative it sounds like a lab problem. If your negatives are blank with nothing on them I'd accept the possibility of operator or camera error. The lab can't erase the image on the negative but they can misprint the negatives. Give these solutions a try and get back to us and tell us what's going on.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Yes, sniping comments are what drove me away from this site for a long time. If they continue I'm outta here again. Life is way too short for that.</p>

<p>Probably the film is not advancing, or the shutter is not opening. Unfortunately, a lab can effectively erase an image on a roll of film if they mess up the developing, open the film cartridge in light, etc. If the camera will allow it, open it up and fire the shutter to confirm it is opening. Some cameras want you to close the back before they'll fire. There is usually a little arm in the top film gate that would have to be pushed in w/ something to get around that function. If you could post a pic of the negatives here it would help.<br /> <br /> I think it is highly unlikely that both cameras are malfunctioning in exactly the same way. The first thing you want to ck is to make sure you are getting the film leader secured into the take up spool correctly when you first load the film. On the A-1, after you advance the film a few frames you should see the film spool crank rotating w/ each advance if it is loaded correctly. You want to take the slack out of the film in the canister first by manually turning the crank until you feel some resistance. If the film is advancing properly and the shutters appear to be opening, you got some bad film or a bad lab, or both. It does make sense to look and see if you have the camera's ISO set right and understand the exposure options (which on the Olymous I think are null besides an ISO setting).</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I suppose it is a little sarcastic, but both suggestions don't seem so bad.</p>

<p>There are a fair number of ways to use a camera wrong, and it isn't easy for us to figure out which one it is.<br>

Reading the manual, and making sure that you followed the instructions is a good way to find out.</p>

<p>Note that it doesn't say RTFMl, for example. </p>

<p>There are some cameras where you can't test the shutter by trying it with the back open. Seems a disadvantage to me. </p>

-- glen