Black streaks on edge of film

Looks chemical-related. What developing equipment are you using? Jobo, Paterson, etc. What film is this, which developer is used, and how did you introduce the developer to the developing equipment? How did you agitate? How did you dry the film?
  • Like 1

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

Hey all, new to the developing world and have only handled a dozen rolls or so. The last two I did had these dark streaks on the edge of the frame, but only two or three frames (at the outside of the reel) have them. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what could cause it?

I think this is called bromide drag. I have never had it. I think it's from not properly agitating. I found an old post you can read up on it; 2nd response:

what is bromide drag? And how can I fix it?

Edited by todd_niccole

Light leaks would give lighter streaks in the print, not darker. However, the dark streaks shown appear to radiate away from some distant point. They're not parallel as I would expect developer or fixer streamers to appear.

I know 'Moving On' suggested background wrinkles in jest, but that's exactly what those dark streaks look like. Almost any processing error would give a negative effect of lighter streaks against a darker ground, and they wouldn't radiate from a number of points.

Take some digital shots for comparison to eliminate BG wrinkles as a possibility.

FWIW. From your username you're doing this commercially, or intending to. Diving into a business using film, that you're obviously new to, seems totally reckless. Not to mention making no economic sense whatsoever.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

On looking closer, the “rays” appear radiused, up near top, horizontal near middle, down near bottom.

Not sure what that might mean other than an indicator of the roll of the film in a canted tank. Maybe post the sequence leading into the streaks.....

Edited by Moving On

The brightest patches of the background are severely posterised, indicating a distortion of the tone curve during scanning or post-processing. So it may be possible that the streaks or wrinkles have been greatly exaggerated in contrast.

What do the actual negatives look like? I would expect a fixing error to show some milkiness in the streaked area, and a light leak wouldn't curve like those streaks.

I'm using Cinestill's DF96

- I just looked that stuff up. It's a monobath, so all bets are off!

I really don't know what effects you might get introducing a light leak into a mixture of developer and fixer. Maybe you would get a reversal effect and get lighter streaks where light hit the film - like the Sabattier effect or pseudo-solarisation.

I'd strongly suggest you switch to a traditional separate developer and fixer process. If only to give you more flexibility in development density. You'll likely get better archival quality as well.

I'm still seeing a chemical-related problem. Possibly try re-fixing the film. I share the preference of rodeo for separate developer and fixer.

The second image is from nearer the start of the roll, is that right? It has fewer, or an absence of, the defect.

Images nearer the end of the roll, nearer the walls of the developing tank, have defects, is this right? It seems chemical-related.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram