Best Zoom Lens for D700 portraits

jonas_mccord

<p>What's your idea of a portrait? What types of portraiture do you like and want to emulate? It's a wide open field, subject to interpretation.</p>

<p>Depends on the focal range you want and working distance you prefer. I like a fast midrange zoom. Other folks might prefer a tele zoom, especially in a large studio or outdoors.</p>

<p>The best no-compromise midrange zooms for the FX dSLRs would include the 24-70/2.8 AF-S and 28-70/2.8 AF-S Nikkors. On a budget, a good clean copy of the 35-70/2.8D AF-S Nikkor would do well, it was very popular among pros for several years.</p>

<p>Some folks prefer something like the 80-200/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 for tight portraits. Some photographers doing headshots for entertainers have stated they use this focal range for some of their work.</p>

<p>70-200mm f/2.8G Nikkor.</p>

<p>I have been encouraging Nikon to make a 50-150mm f/2.8G specifically for event , wedding and portrait shooters with FX ( 24x36mm ) format cameras like the D700 & D3 /D3X but I am unsure if they have been listening.</p>

<p>(yes I know that sigma or tamron makes a 50-150mm but it is for the smaller APS-C format cameras like the D80/D300 etc. )</p>

<p>I totally agree with this. 70mm isn't long enough and isn't wide enough when you pair a 24/28-70 with a 70/80-200 pair. So you have to have two bodies. A 50-150 would be a great range (FX & DX), and would be a nice size too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have been encouraging Nikon to make a 50-150mm f/2.8G specifically for event , wedding and portrait shooters with FX ( 24x36mm ) format cameras like the D700 & D3 /D3X but I am unsure if they have been listening.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please Nikon?</p>

<p>Well I've been using the 70-200VR for my daughter's head shots. That's head shots - not regular portraits. She's an acting student at our local college & wants to become a stage actress. She needs head shots more than portraits.<br>

I've also invested in the 24-70 & the 180mm f/2.8 - - I have been considering the 85 f/1.4 or the old 135mm f/2 for this as well. Many shoot with the 105VR for this.<br>

I think the idea of a 50-150mm is a great one & hope Nikon listen - - that would be a great zoom as far as I'm concerned...<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>I've been using my much-liked Tamron 28-75 f/2.8AF. It's good alternative to the above mentioned Nikon mid-zoom f/2.8's. Very good bokeh and sharpness but it's a little too yellow-y in its rendering:</p>

<p><a title="Lookin' Up at the Moon by SuperFriend, on Flickr" href=" Lookin' Up at the Moon src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/3014669958_85554e0e11_b.jpg" alt="Lookin' Up at the Moon" width="1024" height="731" /></a></p>

<p>However, I'll be getting rid of that at some point and trading up to the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8AF. What I just got and really like is the Nikon 105mmf/2.5AIS. An incredible lens - sharp, great contrast, superb bokeh. KEH has several examples available. I haven't shot any human portraits but a neighbor dog kindly sat for a few pics:</p>

<p><a title="Good Dog by SuperFriend, on Flickr" href=" Good Dog src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1034/3269770731_770b2a461b_b.jpg" alt="Good Dog" width="1024" height="681" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Good Dog 2 by SuperFriend, on Flickr" href=" Good Dog 2 src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3271136702_07ab74f980_b.jpg" alt="Good Dog 2" width="1024" height="681" /></a><br /></p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Sign me up for one of these! Alternately, a 35-105mm f/2.8 will be fine. It seems that fast zooms in this range are ignored by lensmakers.<br>

For portraits, stage, and events, the 28-70mm f/2.8 was my favorite lens on a DX body. With the D700, I have not found an equivalent. [i knew it would be a problem, and it is.]<br>

At least my 105mm f/2 DC works 'properly' again. Not a zoom, as per the original post, but a killer lens for portraits and other uses.</p>

• 4 months later...