f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro and a 50mm f/1.8 EF II. I shoot with a 40D and have a

30D backup body. My primary walk around is the 50mm but I find it restrictive

when just out and about shooting general subjects--meaning nothing in

particular. I'd like to have the versatility of an intermediate zoom. I'd love

to purchase a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4 but my budget is about half of

what those babies run. I've used both and the IQ for either is incredible. I'm

looking for a lens in that focal range that offers good IQ and preferable a

fixed aperture for a walk around zoom in the $600 range. Also, I prefer to

purchase exclusively new and have no interest in a used lens from e-bay.

Any recommendations?

I think it really depends on what type of subjects you tend to shoot. I absolutely love my EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8IS and though I feel the focal length maybe a little short at times, realistically I

don't see myself carrying anything else as a general walk-around lens.

If you tend to shoot with you 17-40mm f/4L and don't intend in upgrading on a full-frame anytime soon I would suggest selling your 17-40mm and purchasing the 17-55mm. You will sacrifice build quality but will gain speed and image-stabilization.

The way I see it, just take good care of your lens and it shouldn't break. Moreover, the 17-55mm has a pretty good resale value and you may purchase it at reputable sites for below msrp. I got mine at b&h photo for $820.

Here is my flickr -> albert.cantaloupe

*The majority of my shots were shot with the a Canon 40D, Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, and Canon 580EX II.

Good luck.

~Bullet

Use the 17 to 40 and get an inexpensive fast 35mm (or wider) and put it in your pocket (or on the other body) for when you need the lens speed.

But, that is from my personal bias.

I would want to get either the 24 to 70F2.8L, you mention, mainly BECAUSE it is faster than the 17 to 40; (not necessarily because it is longer).

The exact PRIORITY of addressing the limitations you have in your 17 to 40 as a walk around are not actually stated in the question: one could assume not long enough, or not fast enough, or both equally? ? ?

WW

I use the non 'L' series 28-105mm 3.5/4.5 for just plain walking around. It's light unobtrusive has great range, great for Travel and you can purchase it for less than $300. If I have a professional shoot, I switch to the 24-70mm f2.8.

I agree completely with Mr. B, and would like to add that you should consider how much you use 17-23mm, and whether or not selling that lens (the 17-40mm) is an option for you. Also, consider if you have any intention of buying an APS-H or full frame body in the future, before buying an EF-S lens (since you always buy new lenses, you would take a hit when selling).

The Canon 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 is another full frame lens.

At 380grams, it is light enough to carry all day. Not as fast, or robust as an "L", but cost is a lot less. Has decent IQ when stopped down to 5.6 to 8.0; with fast USM and FTM focus, makes a great travel lens.

I have a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and second that for consideration. It's not a fixed apeture, as someone pointed out, but if you need to compromise on one or more of your requirements, it's worth a look.

It's light. It's relatively cheap. It has good focal length for my walking around (on a full frame body). It focuses faster than a 50 f/1.4.

It has light falloff (forget what that is called) that is noticeable at times on my 5D, but on a crop body, you might not ever have to deal with that since you'll use the inside part of the lens.

"E.R., Gary is looking for a lens with "a fixed aperture". That rules out the lens you suggested."

Did you see my 2nd recommended lens? That one is a 2.8, an L to boot. Twice the cost of the 24-85 variable aperture, and weight is more than twice the 24-85.(approx.880grams vs 380grams). There is no perfect lens. Each one will be a compromise, one way or the other. I stand by my choice's of the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 or the 28-70mmm f2.8

<p><i>Did you see my 2nd recommended lens?</i></p><p>I did, though I missed that it was also posted from you -- probably from reading too fast. Nevertheless, by standing by your choice, you may be confident in your choice, but ignoring the needs of the original poster. Yeah, you mentioned the 28-70, but ignored that he prefers to purchase new.</p>