Best Focus Screen for Nikon F

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by christian_fox, Jul 19, 2015.

1. This is about finding the best focus screen for the original Nikon F - "best" is however you define it for your application. For those of you who have experimented with Nikon F and F2 screens, as well as assemble other screens into the Nikon F focus screen box frame, I would be curious to hear of your best experiences in terms of better light, faster focusing, or more pleasant viewing - however you define it.

2. In my experiences: For wedding work I loved the "E", its etched H/V lines help create the needed symmetry this type of photography requires. The "E" also excels for architecture, landscapes etc.
    That said, for everything else I love the garden variety "A" (and it's F2 cousin the "K") for the split image rangefinder. Even in low light focus snaps into place.

3. My favorite is diagonal split image center spot called model P, fits Nikons F and F2.

4. Agree with Steve, the E screen is my go to for the F body cameras. I need to find a couple of them now for some F2 bodies and would like a pair for my F4S bodies. I like the simple focus without the prism and the grid helps me avoid leaning everything to the left, a bad habit I've had all my life.
    Rick H.

5. Funny, but I was never a fan of the split image, much preferring the microprism spot, or the all over matte screen on the early Nikons.
    Every one will have their favourite, so you may have to just try a couple to see what suits. Nikon made so many for special use such as long teles and wideangles, but if you are just using a 50mm or thereabouts most of the time, do check out the plain matte screen...you may be surprised.

6. I have a complete set of Nikon view screens (22 total) and a couple of Beattie screens for the Nikon F and F2.
    When I was young with good eyesight, the best screen for me was the "B" screen for general shooting. As my eyesight failed, I found it easier to accurately focus with the “A” screen.
    I use other screens when the circumstances warrant. For example, if I am doing a lot of 35mm architectural work, I will use the grid lines on the “E” or “R” screens.
    For astrophotography, I prefer the “M” screen.
    https://flic.kr/p/8XcuVN
    00dQiD-557953284.JPG