Best developer for Tmax 100.

Simple question:

I'm going to shoot Tmax 100 and 400, which developer should I use to

get the best possible grain, sharpness and tones?

Somebody told me to go for the Tmax developer, but somebody else told

me Tmax is no good to develop other films (and I occasionally use

Agfa, Fuji).....

TMax developer is simply the best compromise for T-Max films. It will work with Agfa and Fuji too, but there are of course different optimized combinations for every special target (sharpness, grain, tones). Even for T-Max. If you use the Agfas and Fujis for special reasons in negative appearance you`ll take according developers. If you do cause nothing else is at hand, well, as I said, it works.

Martin

For the past few months I've been using Tmax 100 exclusively. I always develop it in Rodinal 1+25. I've gotten very fine, sharp results. I've shot maybe 2 rolls of Tmax 400. It has nice tones in Rodinal. The grain is nice, as well as the tones. I don't care much for 400 speed films in generall though.

Rate TMax 100 at 50 ASA and dev in Agfa Rodinal, diluted 1:50,

20 C for 7 minutes. Agitiation - 4 inversions in the first 30

seconds then one inversion every 30 seconds after that. And I

give a 2 minute pre-soak in water at 20 C but that's opitonal.

Tones are smooth and Rodinal gives a sharpness which other

developers don't have.

Peter,

As you live in Belgium try Amaloco's AM74. I do so and am happy with it. "They" say it's some kind of altered, liquid concentrate look-a-like of D76. It is not speed reducing nor speed increasing, it is fine-grained and sharp. Many filmtypes/brands can be processed with 1 and the same time of 5 minutes. The standard dilution of 1+7 can be reused for a number of films without need for adjusting the development time. Other dilutions are also possible.

Groeten uit Nederlands Limburg,

I also process TMX in D-76 (1:1).

I don't particularly like TMY. I prefer the longer scale, better tonal separation, and more attractive grain structure of the New Delta 400 Pro, rated at EI 200 in straight Perceptol or at EI 400 in D:76 (1:1). It's smoother in Perceptol, but if I need the extra stop, I'll go with D:76.

I've used TMX and TMY in 35mm, 120, and 4x5. I've developed in TmaxRS 1:9 and Xtol 1:1 and cannot tell which negative was done in which developer. Recently, I switched to D23 1:1 and 1:3 and can see a reduction in grain. I haven't compared tones directly, but I do like the D23 negs more.

Jerry

I won't claim these are the best 'cause I haven't tried 'em all, but I get great results using Ilfosol S and ID-11. My 120 TMX negs want for nothing. If another developer gave better results I don't think I could stand it.

Sound like you, as I do, wish to keep your supply of chemistry to a minimum. That's why I'm quite content with Ilfosol S, ID-11 and Rodinal. Years ago, when I shot nothing but Tri-X, I used nothing but HC110 and was perfectly happy.

That said, keep in mind that there are so many variables including plain ol' water. I use distilled water unless I want random results 'cause our well water is very hard. So it's more than just chemistry, temperature, etc.

My favorite developer for TMax 100 (not the new version) is SPUR HRX. SPUR HRX is a relatively new German developer from a small speciality house previously well-known for traffic film chemistries. Before trying it in HRX I was, to put it lightly, less than impressed by T-Max.. too bad the new TMax that Kodak is now bringing into the food chain does not come anywhere near the results I saw or see (as I still have some T-Max in my store)...