Best book to learn CS5???

<p>I looked around to see if this question had been asked and couldn't find anything...I apologize if this is a repeat.<br>

I am realy new to photo editing and just recently purchased Photoshop CS5, I understand this is not really a beginner's software but I wanted to get the most bang for my buck long term.<br>

I see that there are a ton of books out there on CS5. Does anyone have a recomendation for what book to buy to learn cs5? I am looking for something that takes the novice photographer in to account, something with pictures as well as text would also be nice. I want to learn the basics and work my way up to the more advanced features of photoshop.<br>

Thanks in advance!<br>

Yvette</p>

<p>I'd recommend "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop" by Martin Evening and Jeff Schewe. I actually have the previous version of the book (i.e. for CS4) and found it easy to follow, well explained and concise, and most importantly aimed at photographers ;). I understand the CS5 version adds more material besides just being updated for CS5. <br>

If you want a book that delves deeper in CS5, Martin has also written "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers".</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=Photoshop+CS5+books&filter=0&sa.x=0&sa.y=0#1229<br>

Click on the above url, it is what came up when I entered "Photoshop CS5 books" in the search box at the top of the page. It will likely answer your question. No offense, but did you really look around?</p>

<p>Scott Kelby's book for Photoshop is the best book for those who want to get working immediately. The book is organized by tasks. So if you want to reduce overflashing in foreground, look up flash adjustments in the ToC to find the chapter that gives you step by step instruction on how to do this.</p>

<p>To learn the full power of Photoshop, Adobe's Classroom in a Book is a good book. This one is organized by the features of Photoshop and shows how you can do far more than editing photographs. The first assignment in my edition was to take a photo of asparagus and make a bowl of fruit out of it. This is not exactly your traditional photo editing work. However you will learn far more about the power of Photoshop than from Kelby's book.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

<p>I think the problem with learning Photoshop using many of the books out there in the market, is learning what you want to do in Photoshop but the books are too general. You want to edit beauty, fashion, landscapes, portraits, products, etc, etc, etc there are certain basic steps to learn that they all have in common. Case in point, learning about color management is common to all type of photos in PS. But then you have to learn more advance photo editing steps that are gear towards the subject matter of the photographs you are editing.<br>

<br>

If you are looking to do retouching with beauty and fashion type photographs in PS, then I think Gry Garness <a href="http://www.grygarness.com/">http://www.grygarness.com/</a> is one of the best DVD here. She go through many of the basic steps that anyone has to master in PS like healing, cloning, masks, layers and more before she go into beauty/fashion retouching.<br>

<br>

So if beauty/fashion/portrait retouching is what you are looking to do in PS, I think her DVD is the best one.<br>

<br>

Also there is a very good website for Retouching or on Photoshop, RetouchPro and they have excellent rental videos that I learn from for a certain subject matter.<br>

<br>

Bill</p>

<p> </p>

<p>lynda.com is for me way better than a book because you can actually see someone doing thing and explaining it to you.. lynda.com cover around 250hres just on Photoshop alone.</p>

<p>Gry Garness have made a excellent DVD.. but not suite for a beginner for sure.. you need to be at elast a intermediate user, even a advanced user would be better. Its is maily 90% of it about fashion photo retouching.. not something you can expect to be able to do before a long learning process of many other material before.</p>

<p>Scott Kelby book is more usefull for beginner / intermediate user, and this is the targeted audience.</p>

<p>Dr. Brown is one of the original four that launched PS1 with the Knoll Bros. It's fantastic to see him still coding away decades later. It's not well known but the four of them first approached Nikon and offered them Adobe PS1 but Nikon felt there wasn't a future for it. The brothers then launched it on their own.</p>