Behold, another Beauty.

<p>Louis Meluso created a lovely post showcasing the Beauty Super II , Gene M. did the same for the Beauty Lite III, and I know Ralf Jakoel has a nice copy of the Lightomatic III, so here's a fourth member of the gang. The Beauty Lightomatic II was produced in Japan in 1960 by the Beauty Camera Company, an entity which had risen from the ashes of the bankrupt Taiyōdō Kōki K.K. in 1953. Taiyodo had been distributing and manufacturing cameras since 1946, and had established a reputation for good quality products with a range of Beautyflex TLR's, some of which are still quite sought-after today, and by which the Beauty name is better known. In 1955 they tested the 35 mm market with the Beauty 35 viewfinder camera, followed by two rangefinder cameras, the Beauty Super 35 and the Beauty Canter 35 After several name-changes the company appears to have ceased production in the early 60's.<br /> <br />The Lightomatic II is a very solid camera, nicely finished and of very attractive appearance. Conventional in layout and design, it features a Copal-SV shutter providing speeds from 1 to 1/500 plus B, and has a selenium powered light meter coupled to aperture and shutter with a read-out on the top deck. Film advance is by a short-throw top-mounted lever, and focusing is via a good solid ring which moves the entire lens and shutter assembly. The viewfinder has a bright rangefinder spot and a moving brightline frame, adjusting for parallax. The lens is interesting, and demonstrates the convolutions of the early Japanese optical industry. The 55mm Biokor-S f/1.9 is a very nice lens indeed; it was used in the earlier Beauty 35 models under the "Canter" name, and so far as I can determine was manufactured by the Tomioka Glassworks, which went on in association with Yashica to create the fine Yashinon lenses. To thicken the plot, I have a very nice Ricoh Five One Nine rangefinder with a 45mm "Rikenon" f1.9 lens which I've discovered was also supplied by Tomioka and which appears to be identical to the Biokor-S, six elements in four groups and very well-constructed and coated. Anyway, the Biokor-S performed very well on my test film, and the camera handled pleasantly and without problems. It features a rather cute extended rewind handle which recesses into the side of the body and provides a little extra leveredge.<br /> <br />I shot off a roll of Superia 200 and attach a few pics. The pics I've included of the old locomotive which I featured in the "Trainspotty" post are interesting in that I converted them from colour to sepia, and they don't have the same quality as the XP2 used of the previous post, but for some rather rushed photographs in dull light they're not too bad. Scans, as usual, are from the Fuji Frontier.</p><div>00XRqF-288637584.jpg.e57c5e663db8a6c898a2bdb84e127f0c.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Ah Rick, you have fallen for the Beauty :-) (Sorry could not resist). Wonderful post as always, my Beautiful army had a Beautyflex added as well (Beauty TLR) which is also very good. I love the photographs, especially the block, Loco 2, the cottage and the turbulent Spring. Now you need to find yourselft an Aires to enrich your Japanese rangefinder camera collection :-).</p>

<p>Funny that Ralf should mention the Aires because this Beauty looks like a cross between an Aires and an older Yashica of some sort. What a nice camera, Rick! It seems to have a very capable lens as all of your pictures are wonderfully sharp. "Block" and "Cottage" are my favorites.</p>

<p>In the early sixties, japanese camera import to Europ was still very restricted, and the consumer market here knew only of german "general public" offerings : their lenses were less opened (2.8) and their look was not as modern as the japanese rangefinders of that time.<br /><br />In France, general awareness of japanese gear was very limited and their reputation was still rather bad (things that you do not know, you cannot praise).<br /><br />However in 1967, I took the risk and bought one of the first (and rare) Yashica Electro 35 that came to France (through "Tranchant Electronique" Co. as I remember), and was baffled that its lens (a "Tomioka" as it seems)... and besides, also its overall build quality and look outclassed my father's Zeiss !<br /><br />Too bad that we only recently got the opportunity to "collect" these very good consumer cams. They should have deserved better availablility in these times.</p>

<p>Not surprisingly, in the following years, my family became a big yashica "fan club" and so by the way, I am now a serious "yashica rangefinders collector" :-)<br /><br />Paul</p>

<p>Very nice post, Rick. I think the XP2 does a bit better in the shadows but your conversion looks quite good. I wish I had a dollar for every time a Beautyflex slipped through my hands on the auction site, always getting beyond my budget at the final hour. As you say very sought after and the Lightomatics are also hot for clean, working examples. It looks like you snagged a good one.</p>

<p>Your results prove why there is such interest. An obscure yet nicely made camera with an outstanding lens. Your pictures highlight the excellent results this camera can produce and all accolades are justly deserved. </p>

<p>The fact that you are a creative and capable photographer only adds to the enjoyment of your posts rather than diminish them. Thanks for "showing off" this fine Beauty.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for your responses! <strong>Ralf</strong>, I'm always on the look-out for Aires, but they are about as rare as hens' teeth down here, and fetch exorbitant prices. My turn will come...You're right, <strong>Andy</strong>, it's very typical of the better-class rangefinders of that era, Aires and Yashica included. Thanks <strong>Paul</strong>, your Yashica experiences make very interesting reading, and it's good to meet another Yashica collector.<br>

<strong>Louis</strong>, thanks for a considered and insightful comment...<strong>Hendrik</strong>, at the size and quality of the pics we're able to post here, any camera with a decent lens will produce good sharp images, which is both good and bad, as there's really no way of displaying the <em>really</em> good ones! And thanks <strong>Chuck</strong>, <strong>Steve</strong>, <strong>JDM</strong>, <strong>Mike</strong> and <strong>Rod</strong> for your usual kind responses.</p>