Bean Bags

sanjay_chaudary

<p>Hi,<br>

has anyone used the following product : <br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774086-REG/Apex_898159002194_MINI_BEAN_BAG_BLACK.html<br>

I am looking for a beanbag to support my 400mm ef L f5.6 lens canon make ( 2 pounds approx) while shooting from a vehicle . I had this lovely opportunity to shoot pics of wild dogs but ended up with camera shake due to cloudy skies ( I had ISO 100 film and shutter speed came to 1/25th sec ). </p>

<p>I currently have a Manfrotto 490 ballhead and might use arca swiss later.</p>

<p>B&H has a page of bean bags that can be draped over an open car window, and some which attach to the tripod socket or with straps. I've used the latter in various public and private attractions where tripods weren't allowed. Mine came filled with plastic pellets. Sand is too heavy, bird shot heavier yet. Real beans and rice work, but are subject to agricultural inspections, confiscation and fines if you cross certain borders.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=bean+bag&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&ipp=50">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=bean+bag&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&ipp=50</a></p>

<p>If you're traveling and want to avoid extra weight, get a bag made/sewn with a zipper and some plastic bags for liners, and you can carry it empty and fill it with beans, gravel, or whatever you can find in your destination.<br>

In a real pinch, buy a bag of beans at a local market, discard when you leave. It don't cost beans to do so. ;)</p>

<p>Sanjay,<br>

I frequently use a similar product without the mounting screw for a head. I keep it in the car filled with sunflower seeds. I am sure that you will find some who will say that it is better for one reason or another if the camera/long lens is on a ball head or other mount. I simply am not of that camp. I often frequent wildlife reserves which have rather long "drives" and I just roll the window down set the bean bag over the door and rest my 500mm lens on the bean bag. The elevation is nearly perfect and the bean bag holds the lens plenty still. If I need to get out and use the bonnet or the boot I just flip the bean bag over, and in the event of a sudden rain or gust of dust I just set the cam on the seat beside me pull the bean bag and roll up the window.<br>

When driving, (SLOWLY), through the preserve I can leave the lens hanging out and rest my hand on it gripping the mounting foot which I invert for this purpose. I have lots of great shots thanks to my bean bag. </p>

<p>I use the Molar Bean Bag. It's Built like a Tank. I use it whenever I am shooting from My Vehicle.<br>

I used dried navy beans. the only down side is the weight,I would discourage anyone from raising and Lowering with the bag and camera. Its Rock solid,I know several Guys that use them with 200-400's 500mm and 600mm lenses.</p>

<p>This may sound silly but believe me it works.<br>

Quart or gallon Heavy Duty Ziploc bags. Ya pack them empty and fill them with any dry sand or dirt (if you want a "bean" bag you can buy some beans at any of the local markets) at your arrival location. I used one for two weeks in Kenya/Tanzania and never had a leak. <br>

I had a friend from the UK who said that ziplocks are not available there.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
<p>Hi Under no circumstances would I ever use sand or gravel in a “bean bag”! There is just too much risk of grit getting into the camera if there is a leak. Buy a bag of rice / beans when you get there. Place it in a simple home made cove to make it stronger, otherwise you will end up with it breaking. When you leave, don’t throw the rice /beans away, give it to someone. Many of the people that provide support for Safaris in Africa earn little. A bag of beans or rice can feed a family. We “hire” bean bags to our clients at a nominal fee. We then donate the “fee” to a local church that helps those in need. G</p>