Batteries wearing down faster.

<p>I alternate between two batteries for my year and a half old Nikon D3100. Both batteries are 1 1/2 years old. I find that I am getting fewer shots than I used to. I know that they run down in time, but should they be running down so soon?</p>

<p>Are you letting them completely discharge once in a while? Partial / frequent charging will kill their longevity. I know Li-Ion was supposed to change all that, but I haven't found any batteries that wouldn't lose life from partial charging. </p>

<p>Rob, the only evidence I have is my own experience. I have Li-Ion batteries in everything from cameras to computers phones to tools. The evidence is quite clear to me. Li-Ion is better in almost every way but they are not perfect. I have a sneaking suspicion that much of it also has to do with battery chargers. I no longer use car-chargers for my phones and battery life in my last several phones improved dramatically.</p>

<p>When I bought my D200 I also purchased an extra battery. I still use the two of them and they seem to be holding up well. I bought the D200 over 5 yrs ago. However it has not seem heavy usage. Less then 2K clicks per year. On the other hand I shoot a F100 and use eneloops AA batteries. They never seem to go dead however in January I recharged them even though my camera said they had a full charge. The F100 see's light usage. <br>

However from what I understand the modern batteries do not have battery memory so you can charge them at any time. I suppose some batteries are just better then others and also a particular camera can use more power or even have a health issue that drains batteries even turned off. I had a FE2 that would do that one. It would drain the s76 batteries just sitting in the closet. You could put new batteries in it and then when your ready to use it they would be exhausted. I think my D200 however is in excellent shape. Not a problem with that camera since new. Right now I have it stored away as I was not planning on using it until my daughter's graduation from UCSanta Cruz later this year. Until then I was just going to enjoy my 35mm and get to know it better as well as the various films out there. I do not carry spare batteries with me when using the F100. It has enough juice for the rest of the year and more. <br>

I recently checked out the 3100 at CostCo. It's a nice little lightweight camera with a modern sensor. It should be a great shooter. </p>

<p>I also have to wonder about shooting habits...are you taking more time to compose, and consequently keeping VR engaged longer? Have you changed your in-camera settings to keep VR engaged longer? Are you shooting in lower light where the AF has to hunt more?</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I recently got the new Sigma 18-200 II OS HSM. This is the first OS lens I've owned. Maybe Sigma's OS uses more current than Nikon's VR or Tamron's VC. Other than that I haven't changed my shooting habits. The Sigma replaces a Tamron 18-270 VC and gets the same amount of use. Sometimes I run the battery all the way down and sometimes I just top it off, but that's the same as I've always done. I do charge one or both batteries every week or two. I'll get a third battery and alternate the three. It will be interesting to see if the new one lasts longer than the older ones.</p>

<p>Ross I got the D3100 because it is smaller and lighter than the D90 I was using. As I've gotten older I've cut down the weight of all of my gear. I actually like it more than the D90 which I love. It's IQ is better especially at iso 3200 and 6400. ISO 12,800 is for emergency use only, but it is useable if you don't underexpose.</p>

<p>When you charge your batteries, do you monitor the *flashing* light and unplug the charger promptly when the battery reaches the fully charged state? If, for some reason, you plug the charger in at night and unplug it in the morning, the battery life-span may be shortened (due to overcharging.)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ross I got the D3100 because it is smaller and lighter than the D90 I was using. As I've gotten older I've cut down the weight of all of my gear. I actually like it more than the D90 which I love. It's IQ is better especially at iso 3200 and 6400. ISO 12,800 is for emergency use only, but it is useable if you don't underexpose.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> I would buy one myself but my lens collection is made up of all "D" lenses. Since the camera would require all new lenses then there is no reason to not consider a different system entirely such as the Nex system. However I do like the D3100. It would be a nice way to save some weight on the gear. Something I struggle with. </p>

<p>I was considering micro 4/3 system because my gear was getting too heavy for me to shlep around for several hours. Instead I got a D3100 and traded my Nikon 18-200 VR for a Tamron 18-270 VC PZD and my Nikon 70-300 VR for a Nikon 55-300 VR. I also bought a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G which I pretty much use it instead of my Tamron 18-50 f/2.8. I since replaced the Tamron 18-270 VC PZD (which I still have) with a Sigma 18-200 II OS HSM which is the same size and weight.</p>

<p>I have two basic light weight outfits. The D3100, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, and Nikon 10.2mm FF FE is the outfit I use for most shooting around NYC. For the zoo and aquarium it's the D3100, 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 55-300 VR, Sigma 18-200, and sometimes a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8.</p>

<p>If you were actually able to "overcharge" your Lithium Ion batteries, you would know it, as your house would have burnt down. Lithium Ion batteries that are overcharged overheat and burst into flames. </p>

<p>What Jerry is describing is not "overcharging" but (perhaps) a"top-off" charge, where the charger let's the voltage drop a bit before re-applying a charge. This has no ill effects on a lithium ion battery. </p>

<p> </p>