Batch Scanning problem Coolscan IV ED?

<p>Hello,<br /> I am using NikonScan software with my Coolscan IV ED. I have recently completed a scanning marathon on over 5,000 colour negative images.</p>

<p>I now want to scan many thousands of Black and White transparency's.</p>

<p>I saved a preset..... neg(Mono)... Greyscale... AnalogGain: Neutral... ROC: Neutral... GEM: Neutral... ICE: Off... Bit Depth: 12. I highlighted the strip of thumbnails with ctrl>click. Then selected the setting I saved, but when scanned the first image is 23.7mb and the subsequent one's are 35.7mb. The 35.7mb images have a sepia tone so it looks like the greyscale setting is changing after the first scan.<br /> How do I keep the desired settings consistent throughout the batch scan?<br /> Are these the best base settings for Black and White transparency's?</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated, my brain is already numb from the 5,000+ colour scans.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>I have the Coolscan V, not the IV ED, but whenever I get sepia colored images scanning black and white, it is because the scanner has defaulted back to RGB. This can happened if you set the black and white preset for the first image only.</p>

<p>1) Select the first thumbnail.</p>

<p>2) Scroll to the last thumbnail, but do not click on it yet.</p>

<p>3) Press and hold the Left-Shift key on the keyboard. Now click on the last thumbnail. All the images between will now be selected; the thumbnails will be framed in blue.</p>

<p>4) Now apply the black and white preset. It will be applied to all the selected thumbnail. </p>

<p>5) Start your batch scan.</p>

<p>This drove me crazy for quite some time, before I figured it out.</p>

<p>From your description, your color setting is the default setting. You just have to make your selections first then apply the preset, so it applies to all the selected batch scan frames, not just the first. </p>

<p>In my case, I like to scan the entire roll at low resolution, 600 dpi, to use as a proof sheet. The default is 4000 dpi. Imagine my "joy" to get the first file at a few megabytes and the succeeding files at 75 megabytes. </p>

<p>Best of luck on your project.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes I feel your "Joy" I was over a thousand images into my colour scanning. Before I realised the scanner was reverting to 8-bit after scanning the first frame of the strip. I had to rescan them all, so I did not want a repeat with the black and white transparency's.</p>

<p>This does seem to be a quirk with NikonScan software. It would be simpler to batch scan if the base settings could be changed. Instead of constantly having to select a preset for a strip of images.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>