b&w fashion

kei n.

This is a black and white test shot. I'd like to ask a qestion as

well as receive comments to this photo. Does b&w work in a fashion

portfolio? Every photographer I've asked (who is working) has

said "No." Another photographer said this just the other day and I

wanted to get more opinions from others out there...

That sounds like odd advice to me. B&W is in mine, and in every other ?folio I've seen. It's printed in mags and on comp cards. Being able to work in B&W is a demonstration of one's ability. It used to be a bench mark of a photographers strengths, not so much today as it's easier than it was ten years ago, but still necessary. I'd actually frown if all I saw was colour pics in someone's 'folio. Igor is the most knowledgeable regular contributor here, doing lots of fashion testing and mag shooting for the Eastern Europe market, maybe he'll pop in and add his two cents worth.

Your photo needs work for a portfolio. If find the subject and background need separation. Whether you extract her in PS and give the background a different contrast and/or a bit of gaus blur, and then tweak her skin tones to perfection, would do a great deal of improvement for me.

Kevin,

I think you meant Bazaar :)

W is another mag that publishes a lot of b/w fashion as does Italian Vogue.

The latter is always worth looking at for those interested in fashion

photography. 10 magazine also publishes a lot of b/w but it's expensive ie 10

pounds sterling.

Triumph does a huge advertising campaign in b&w at the moment. I suppose 80% b&w might be O.K., at 100% everybody might call you colourblind and will suspect you of being unable to do proper white balance, color management or clean enlighting.

My book is about 1/3 black and white. It is timeless and works toned or straight black and white. I'd look objectively at the photographers work that gave you such an opinion. Look at Elle, Vogue, W, GQ, or any mainstream fashion magazine and you will find plenty of black and white fashion spreads and advertising images. Whether it's Tri-x, Plus X, HP5, or the C-41 films, find one that you like and create your own look.

Good luck,

Tony

Eric,

Just flicked through the S/S '04 issue of Exit which costs twelve pounds . It's a

pretty thick issue with nearly all of it editorial so maybe it isn't unreasonably

expensive compared to, say, Italian Vogue.

Wide ranging styles of photography including a b/w shoot, called 'Stromboli',

featuring Naomi Campbell. Concrete proof that people still use b/w in fashion

:)

After a cursory glance, lasting all of 90 seconds, I'd say that it's pretty much

state of the art in terms of fashion photography but I didn't see anything that

you wouldn't expect to see in any of the other style bibles such as Pop.

Another, 125, Self Service, 10, Purple etc......

However, it is very nicely printed with a heck of a lot of pages. I might buy it for

a closer look.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

whomever said that B&W doesnt work for a fashion porfolio is talking bollocks. Sorry for the word, but its true. Tell that to Bruce Weber, Avedon, or Testino. It doesnt matter whether is monochrome of colour, the images matter the most. I have seen dozens, hundreds of b&w pictures far better than many outstanding colour ones. I would dare to say that b&w is in many ways better than colour, for we see the world in colour and we tend to look for different things, and notice others when we see a monochromatic image.

Good luck in the future.

• 3 years later...