Average $ per year spent on photography?

<p>Sorry to be so parochial here by talking in US dollars. What do you as an amateur photographer spend per year on your hobby? What do you figure is the working life span of your equipment? In the $ total I'd like to include:<br>

Cameras<br>

Lenses<br>

Accessories (tripods, bags, batteries, memory, filters, light modifiers, flashes, etc.)<br>

Repairs<br>

Books<br>

Photo.Net and other subscriptions<br>

Workshops<br>

Computers<br>

Monitors<br>

Software<br>

Software updates<br>

Insurance<br>

Travel (just for photography)<br>

Printers, ink, paper, frames</p>

<p>Do you set a budget? How much a year?</p>

<p>How do you think your photography hobby compares in cost to fishing, hunting, scuba diving, skydiving, skiing (snow and water)? How about reading? I know I usually purchase at least two paperbacks a week? How about movie rentals? Streaming video? How about today's smartphones/tablets/data plans?</p>

<p>How about the pros out there? The freelancers? I'm not talking the people that have a standalone studio and staff</p>

<p>I submit that spending $1500 a year, year after year, is not an expensive hobby when compared with other things we spend our money on.</p>

<p>Thanks for your thoughts - Mark</p>

<p>Mark, I don't spend much on photography any more except for a few subscriptions. </p>

<p>From personal experience and observation of friends, what eventually happens is that we run out of real estate to keep all the stuff we've accumulated over the years for each of the hobbies. </p>

<p>On the positive side, rediscovering the pleasure in actually using the accumulated stuff to learn new stuff has made everything fun again. </p>

<p>For me, photography is not a mere hobby - in fact let's face it, it can never be a hobby. It's either a profession or an obsession. Nothing in between. :-)</p>

<p>This year I have actually earned more from photography than I have spent on it (i.e. I have at least broken even!). Quite a good achievement considering that I do like to buy things. So here it is:</p>

<p>- Nikon F2 body: $125</p>

<p>- Samsung monitor: $225</p>

<p>- Hard drive, external: $125</p>

<p>- Replacement PM G5: $250</p>

<p>- Film & processing: $100</p>

<p>- Miscellaneous: $125</p>

<p>Total: $825. Considering that the F2 was not necessary and the replacement PM G5 was forced upon me, that's not too bad.</p>

<p>Next year I'll buy a Mac Pro to replace the G5; another digital camera body; another lens; more storage; more film; b&w chemicals. I have to be very disciplined not to buy an Arri 16mm kit. :-)</p>

<p>This year has been fairly frugal, with no major purchases.<br>

Canon<br>

2nd hand EOS-1 ~140 GBP<br>

Replacement 77 mm lenscap ~7 GBP<br>

Sigma 50/1.4 ~330 GBP<br>

Film & Processing<br>

10 rolls TRI-X, 10 rolls HP5 ~100 GBP<br>

I'll probably buy another digital body before the end of the tax year.</p>

<p>I haven't added it up yet but it's quite a lot... again this year and likely the next few years as well. This is my profession, so it's important for me to regularly evaluate my equipment and how well it delivers what my clients need. Making more efficient use of my time is often a big factor. I'm also planning ahead for the kinds of work I want to grow into and equip for that.</p>

<p>Since photography is now an intertwined part with travel and auto-racing, which are my other admittedly expensive hobbies it's hard to separate them. I probably spend about the same as the OP on camera bits, software, paper, etc., and you could argue I'd travel and race cars without a camera so I guess that's a good way to look at it.</p>

<p>I do not smoke, and do not drink any alcohol any more, I also am without a wife, (sigh) so what I do with funds I spend for the other thing's is my fun, my son has complained I could save it and come visit him, But I am enjoying myself for now when I get bored , I will do something else . Till then enjoy and do not worry about what you spend.</p>

More than I spend on manicures ($0) and less than I spend on income tax.

In 2011 I bought one lens and one body.

In 2010 I bought a couple of lenses and a new Gitzo tripod.

In 2009 I bought a body and two lenses. I bought an iMac when my old Mac died.

2006-2008 I bought a 4x5 camera and a few lenses. In 2008 I also bought a D700 which I have since sold.

Throw in a few 32GB memory cards along the way. I haven't bought a new backpack in years.

I've sold a number of older lenses via online auction sites, and that has balanced out more recent purchases.

All in all, the camera budget isn't breaking the bank.. Now if I could only get my Starbucks budget under control...

<p>A.T. - If you truly enjoy photography it is worth every penny you spent. I don't believe there are any fools when it comes to photography. I believe there are priorities.</p>

<p>As a non-smoker I can not understand why people are burning dollar bills and ruining their lungs. But, that's just me.</p>

<p>I can't understand purchasing a new car and having it depreciate as I drive it off the new car lot. I did this once.</p>

<p>I can relate to wanting a new lens/camera/flash/accessory and spending good money on it if I'm going to use it.</p>

<p>Disclaimer: I have a lot of Scot's blood in me.</p>

<p>Thanks - Mark</p>

<p> </p>