Autofocus will not work.

fatatofotos

<p>I just bought a Canon EOS rebel XS two days ago. The autofocus will not work, the only things that will show up (not blurry) are about 10 feet away. This really hurts me because number one: i am not a very experienced photographer so i have NO idea what is going on, and number two, to the two things i take pictures of the most are flowers, and birds. and since it will not autofocus, i can't take pictures of either of those. Yes, i have switched the switch on the lens from manual focus to autofocus, it still doesn't work. the only thing that i have doe that could have effected it are i took the lens off so i could take it to a friends house, and i was playing with the f-stop a bit. Please help me, i need an answer by Sunday, i am leaving on a road trip to Seattle and i really want to have my camera up and ready by then. thanks.</p>

<p>Is the lens fully clicked onto the body? It should not rotate if it is. Might be worth a look. When you removed the lens did you touch the metal contacts at the back of it? It doesn't take much dirt/sweat to affect the electrical contact. Perhaps wipe them off with a clean cloth and re-mount the lens. I was shooting this week with a friend who had a Nikon and it wouldn't focus when he changed lenses. A quick wipe of the lens contacts fixed it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alex,<br>

Are you in full "Automatic" more? - the green square on the big mode dial at top. Try that in some good outdoor sunlight and see who you get on (it could be camera shake for example). Also there is a troublshooting section in your camera manual about this very issue, have a look at that and see if any of the suggestions help.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Thanks everyone, at the time i posted this i did not know how to operate manual focus so that explains the franticness of the post, haha, but i took it to best buy and it turns out it was broken. I have no idea how i did it, but i did. So they gave me a new one free! and have been snapping pics ever since, if you want to check them out at my profile. thanks again.</p>