Arax 60

janisk

<p>Hi,<br /> I've been using Kiev 60 which is probably the most unreliable MF camera ever made, it needs servicing after every second roll. I have also a Mamiya RZ Pro II and 645AF as well as Rolleiflex TLR and some MF folders, they all work fine but in some cases the Kiev was what I liked most to use, mostly because of the Carl Zeiss Jena lenses but also for its' portability, square format and SLR factor, all in one. Does anyone here have an experience with Kiev cameras rebuilt by Arax? Worth it? Thanks!</p>

<p>I have a Kiev 88CM from Arax (bought new from them). Its shutter mechanism is faulty and requires servicing. I bought a Kiev 60 (Hartblei modified) and a Pentacon Six TL to use my set of lenses. They both work fine; shutter speeds are perfect and I experienced no film spacing problems. Arax or not, you should expect some sample variation (for the lenses also) for these stuff. Having easy access to a knowledgeable technician (or, to another copy of the failed apparatus!) would also be nice! At present, I am happiest with the Kiev 60 among the three...</p>

<p>I don't have any personal experience with the Arax, Hartblei, or whatever "re-built" Soviet models, but my Pentacon 6TL is working away as well as it ever did (which is to say that correct film loading is essential to get more-or-less even spacing, and one needs to handle the film advance lever gingerly, not snapping it back, not making any sudden control movements, etc. etc.). I've had to have the Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 aperture mechanism repaired on occasion, but otherwise, no problems.<br>

I don't think the Pentacon 6TLs are too expensive these days. There aren't a lot of them in completed sales on eBay, but a plain prism one just sold for a little over $60 (but with a $30 shipping charge!).</p>

<p>I had a Kiev60 brand new for about 2 days before I sent it back. A replacement exhibited nearly all the same faults and was sent back for a refund. During the time I had those cameras I found: There is no - absolutely zero - mechanism for frame spacing, it relies solely on take up spool rotations. The mirror bounces back down into the dark chamber during exposure because there's no brake mechanism. The back is so flimsy it flexes a soon as it's opened. The flash synch on those two separate samples was intermittent. My CZ Jena lenses wouldn't fit the second sample because the lens bayonet was so badly machined.<br>

So unless Arax do a <em>complete rebuild</em> and <em>redesign</em>, it's difficult to see how they could turn these piles of crap into usable cameras. I can't see Arax being able to retrofit a frame spacing mechanism or a mirror brake. All they probably do is to test them for other faults that haven't been designed in.</p>

<p>A Pentacon 6 in working order will be far superior to those Ukranian junkheaps. At least it'll have a mirror brake and frame spacing mechanism.</p>

I disgree with Rodeo Joe. I went through three Pentacon Sixes. The Slovakian seller, who I can't fault, let me take them to Eddie Smolov, in Bjrooklyn, who picked the best of them and fixed it, with the seller crediting the repair cost toward a 50 mm Flektogon. Still, I had to have that camera repaired twice more over a couple of years and bought an Arax 60 out of desparation. That camera has worked perfectly. The advance mechanism IS rather rudimentary, but works well and gives fairly even spacing, with no overlap. I've seen no evidence in my photographs of the oter problem Mr. Joe writes about.

<p>I got my Arax 60 in November 2011 and I have put a few rolls trough it and to be honest I had no problems so far, the only thing I had was a 13th frame but that was rather me not paying to much attention to the loading procedure. As for the rest I have had good contact with Arax. It's certainly no Hasselblad concerning finish and handling, the ergonomics aren't the best but that reflects Soviet doctrine, "it doesn't have to look pretty Comrade, it has to work". If you want a camera with tight tolerance and no wobbly parts than I'm afraid the Arax/Kiev isn't for you, if you don't care about that than Arax is the way to go, and it's cheap, very cheap. </p>

<p>I have two arax-tuned 88 bodies and four arax-tuned backs (two 6x6 and two 645) and I never experienced any problem with them (neither mechanical nor light leaks).<br>

However, some of my russian lenses had to be adjusted (my me) for reliable diaphragm preset.<br>

My Jupiter 250mm, I could not (it is a very bad design) and intend to modify it for manual preset.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I've had an Arax 60 for several years now. I recently had a shutter problem that Arax fixed for me, but apart from that I've had no issues with the camera. Of course, it's not a Hasselblad, but for the price it's a bargain. What I like most about it is that it's the easiest medium format camera to focus that I've ever had ( with the waist level finder - the prism is heavy and ungainly, and I never use it) The screen is very bright and has a microprism collar around a split image. Both work extremely well. The arsat 80mm lens that came with the camera is also a bargain - really excellent quality. It's a bit sensitive to film types, and it's not very happy using a thin film like TMax, but with HP5 it works perfectly, without any frame overlap problems. I wouldn't be without mine.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Chris</p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I bought a 645 model just recently and had to send it back---they marked the body 645, they put in the mask for the 6x4.5 in the film plane but they didn't change the gearing!! It was advancing 6cm leaving wide spaces between frames and only getting 12 shots per roll. So I had to incur another $35.00 to ship it back to the Ukraine. I have not received the camera back but it's only been 2 weeks since I returned it.<br>

If this were a US company or had local distribution I'd be expecting them to issue a "call tag" for a factory defect like this.<br>

For the money spent I could have pieced together a mamiya & a bronica from KEH (which I have done) but I also liked my old Kiev 6C & was willing to splurge to get one that was "new"</p>