Anyone using Vinegar for Stopbath?

jim_e

Distilled white vinegar is usually 5% acetic acid. Working strength stop bath is typically 2% (although I normally use a lower concentration as a one-session solution and then toss it). There is not much difference between the two.

Yup. Distilled white vinegar. I don't measure it, just add a dollop to a gallon. Use it only for prints. Gotta replace it daily - scummy floaties will appear within a few days, probably due to interaction between the vinegar and our very hard well water.

I don't use stop bath for film development unless times approach 5 minutes, which I try to avoid anyway.

When I was first starting out, I thought I'd save some money and use vinegar instead of buying stop bath...

If I remember correctly it was more money to use cheap vinegar than it was to just buy indicator stop bath. If that's the reason for your choice, you might be better just buying the stop and you'll have more money to buy film...

Actually, I have vinegar in my home already, and living in the middle of nowhere, it'll cost me $12 in gas to gat a bottle of stop from the closest source!! How much do you figure would make a gallon? A couple of ounces?

Thank you all for the replies!!

• 2 weeks later...
One liter of Glacial Acetic Acid is about US$5 in the part of Mexico where I live while common white vinegar is about $2 per 330 ml. My 2% GAA stop-bath comes at about $0.38 per US gallon (3.8 l). I don't see the point on using vinegar although YMMV.

Robert, that places it squarely against GAA (2.5 gal of 2% stop bath out of each 5% vinegar gallon = $0.40 per gallon). Guess it all depends on how you prefer to mix and what you have conveniently available.