Anyone bored of the M8 yet?

kevin m.

Howdy, Eric. I have to admit that no matter how much I might lust for it, the M8 is out of my

budget. I've been researching older Nikon primes to fit the D200. They make a 24/2.0 that

would make a nice "35" prime, and it takes reasonably sized 52mm filters. Hard to find

used, but I'm sure it's cheap by Leica standards. ;-)

I have one of those Nikon 24 f2.0 AIS lenses, and I love it. I've shot loads of film-

chromes and negs- at all the apertures, and yeah, on MTF charts and test targets, the

f2.8 beats it. But in real-world shooting on my FM2 it's a great lens. It vignettes just

a bit wide open, but you have to look for it on a slide of an evenly illuminated subject

to see it. It's more than acceptably sharp in my book at all apertures.<p>The D200 is

top on my list for a digital body, because for less than half what the M8 will cost, I

can get 10mp's in a well built body that

will meter with my bag full of old Nikon manual focus AIS lenses, like that 24. Give it

a shot, Kevin- you won't regret it.

I have all those bells and whistles on the Oly 5050 that I got screwed on several years ago, and except for using the sensor instead of film (and perhaps the LCD display) all the rest of the complications I can do without. All I want from Leica is a package I can install on the M instead of the back door which will employ the sensor and leave the rest of the M intact so that it can be used with film if convenient or necessary. I can perform all the other digital operations in PS. My hearing aid cost as much as a Leica and it is small enough to lose if it falls into the kitchen sink. Why can't they make a simple device that will record on a sensor. I don't even give a rap whether the sensor is full 18x24 or with a crop factor.