Anyone bored of the M8 yet?

kevin m.

I'm not bored with it. The M8 might be a wonderful tool, but I am puzzled why it was

designed to that you have to remove the baseplate to change cards and batteries. I'd like to

seem some sample files. It may be obsolete in 3 years, but it will still be functional, and

possibly used ones will be close to affordable.

"Would anyone be interested in buying an M film body with the same shutter that's in the M8? The 1/250th flash sync and 1/8000 top shutter speed would have kept my TTL's in my bag a couple more years. :-( ...You could buy three D200's for one M8, that's why."

I don't follow your reasoning. A film M based on the M8 would have cost at least as much as an M7. The M7 is only $1500 less than an M8, and even a part-time one-man wedding photog should be able to recoup that in film and developing cost savings in a reasonable time and then start to see increased profits.

On the intangible side, if you used a film Leica RF in your work rather than a film SLR which would have been much less expensive, you must have had a good reason. If using a rangefinder allows you to produce a look or signature to your work which distinguishes it from your competitors', then you may be being pennywise and pound foolish not taking the intangible into account. Heck you could put the $5K on a zero or low-introductory-interest credit card, pay the monthly minimum and do a balance-transfer to another intro-rate card when the first one's rate expires.

"<I>You could buy three D200's for one M8</I>"

<P>

I could also buy three small Hyundais for the price of a diesel pickup. For light-duty work like commuting and buying groceries one of the Hyundais is a better value. For pulling a horse trailer the three Hyundais together can't get the trailer out of the driveway.

<P>

If you want superlative lenses and the RF view of the world the D200 won't do even if they were being given away.

"If you want superlative lenses and the RF view of the world the D200 won't do even if they

were being given away."

Good point, actually. For me it'll come down to how the high iso looks. If the iso 1250 and

2500 aren't really useable, then that's a deal killer. If the sensor is good at those iso's, then

it'll be capable of some unique imagery. Truth to tell, I am dying to see how, say, a 35

Aspherical Summilux draws at f1.4, iso 2500... :-)