Any Mamiya C220 experts out there?

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by timjones51, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Hi All

I've just obtained a Mamiya C220 Professional.

Had a minor problem with the shutter not closing on half and one second speeds, but a bit of exercising seemed to correct that.

However, putting my second film through it yesterday I got to frame 9 and the shutter refused to fire. I was able to wind the film forward to the end of the roll, even though the shutter had not fired. The shutter cocking lever moves but there is obviously nothing happening, and the shutter lever also moves but without firing the shutter.

Is there something obvious I'm missing or is the thing terminal?

Regards
    Tim

2. Your shutter is sicking, needs a service.

3. Seiko shutters weren't the finest construction to begin with, and yours is now nearly 50 years old. If it hasn't been serviced in all that time, what do you expect?

4. Lack of use no help either.

5. Since the shutter is in the lens it might be less expensive to find another lens. As long as the camera works properly.

6. After you get the lens back from a decent CLA, always store the shutter in the B (bulb) position AFTER firing from the B setting. Relaxes all springs. This is sound advice for any camera / lens combo even if it will just sit a few days. It is a PITA at times, but I spend about two hours the first of the month running thru all my cameras and lenses. Pick an evening time and have a brewsky. Aloha, Bill

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. This is sensible advice but for whatever reason my camera, a Fujica folder, cannot be folded unless the shutter is cocked. It also doesn't have a Bulb option. Just "T"

I'm thinking there's a reason that it has to be cocked. I just don't know what it is. My guess is that for the linkage to operate correctly, the shutter has to be in some known position before folding and the linkage is disconnected. I just wonder why they chose cocked instead of fired.

8. It all depends on how the springs were heat treated when they were made. Springs seldom fail when stored either in tension or relaxed. The problems occur from the action of putting a spring in tension, and then releasing that tension. Done too much, shortens the life of the spring. Another problem lies with lubricants used in the mechanisms. Older lubes tend to gel and solidify, making those springs have to work harder.

I shoot pistols, favoring the Colt 1911 in .45 ACP. I have some magazines which date from WWII, and were stored at full capacity in the 1950's. Seventy years later, I've yet to have a failure with those springs.