Another lab bites the dust

Develop it yourself. My own home success at E-6 has emboldened me. If the lab down the street that does 120 C-41 ever closes, I'll start doing that as well. E-6 takes me 45 minutes to do 4 rolls semi-manually and costs $1.50/roll. C-41 takes less time and is even cheaper.

Did the story say if the whole company is closing down, or just the lab? About five years ago, there were three pro labs in the Seattle area. Pacific Color in the Greenlake area, ProLab in Fremont, and Ivey at the south end of Lake Union. About three years ago, ProLab shut down their wet lab, at which point Pacific Color said that they would not repair their E-6 processor. About three months ago, ProLab shut down everything and liquidated the company. I just now looked at the Pacific Color site and their film processing page is pretty brief, they only offer C-41, they only do 35mm and 120/220. (They have a price for "35, 46, 70mm long roll" processing by the foot, but the text says "no long rolls please".) That left Ivey.

If they're still going to be around, but closing their lab, I should ask them if they could give out my contact information. I'm only 50 miles away and would be delighted to handle a volume of E-6 that they couldn't make money on, although I can only go through 220. I suppose I could buy the 4x5 tank for my Sidekick if anyone actually wants that done.

I could end up being the only E-6 lab in the state of Washington soon at this rate.

Incidentally, I'm paying about 90 cents a roll for chemicals (135-36) with a one-shot process. If I can avoid dead time (which means discarding chemistry when there isn't enough volume) my Noritsu should cut that another 20%. Of course it costs another buck for slide mounts. The 90 cents is based on the Kodak 5-gallon size, but the 5-liter kit really isn't that much more expensive other than the fact that you have to buy a full 5 liters of bleach which should last a good long time. I think I estimated about $1.25/roll when I was still using the 5-liter kit. Note that the Tetenal kit is almost twice as expensive as the Kodak kit, and because of their 3-bath approach you have to throw out the bleach instead of recharging/replenishing it, which probably makes it four times the price of the Kodak chemistry. Which, now that I think about it, is exactly what you're reporting.

Van

Ivey was a great lab in my E-6 days. But I haven't set foot in there for oh.....5 years? And the two years before that were just a roll here and there of personal stuff or something I found at the bottom of the drawer.

Such is life in the digital age I guess.

My main lab I have to drive to no matter what, so I never got a break in pro processing. But they too have cut down their services and that leaves one lab I have used left for the remaining stuff I can't do at the other. But with them mail order is the only way since the cost of gas would be $25 both ways each trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Even here in Long Island, NY a very good lab that used to be just down the street is moving and "converting to digital" -- they will send out films somewhere else -- God knows where, and at their prices I might just send them to Dwayne's Photo.

Does anyone know which Fuji lab is used by the Walmarts in Long Island? Is it a good Fuji?