An Ensign Selfix 16-20

<p>It came with its ever ready case and even the original box, but was in rather a sorry state and I had to dismantle the Ross Express lens, clean and refocus, and remove some corrosion from the body and repaint some areas. The Epsilon shutter, which doesn't have a great reputation, worked fine. The Albada viewfinder pops up automatically when you open the camera.</p><div>00Wzpt-265861584.jpg.82705ac6df437b72904dbf5d668fe0fb.jpg</div>

<p>The only thing I couldn't get working properley was the double exposure prevention, which I don't mind as when this works, a sharp spike up the middle of the shutter button sticks into the end of your finger. I'm not joking.<br>

Here are some shots on Ilford 50 ISO film at the Leicester University Botanical Garden Sculpture Exhibition.</p><div>00Wzq3-265863584.thumb.jpg.7edbfbe643408de214cee9589945c0a5.jpg</div>

<p>A good sharp lens, John, and very well-graduated images. That's not a film I know, but the tones are great. And what great sculpture! Any of those pieces could find a home in my garden...There's a Selfix 16-20 coming up on our local auction and I'm keeping an eye on it; my very first camera was an Ensign Ful-Vue, but it didn't produce images of this quality. Congratulations on another fine acquisition/restoration and thanks for an interesting post.</p>

<p>Lovely camera. Looks like a Zeiss Ikonta to me.<br>

I am the proud owner of no less than 3 Ensign Selfix 20. I bought them because they are easy as hell and I needed a 120mm pocket camera. Very nice to use as street gear I am able to load a roll walking... Unfortunately my beloved Superikonta appeared in my life, but the 20s are beautiful as decoration too ;)</p>

Excellent camera and the original box to boot! I would've had a field day with so many interesting subjects. Great way to shoot a classic. I am never happy with this film (PanF+) when I use it.. just ..just ..too something. I can't put my finger on it. the tone graduation for me is wrong; the contrast is either too strong or not enough ..depends on the exposure of course. Anyway your work here is excellent. The lens seems quit nice. I know the name Ensign but I know little about the models etc! Great if it ever or rather never breaks.. it's all Selfix!!

<p>Thanks to all for the comments. Made in England - yes, it's nice to see although Made in Scotland, Wales, etc are not so common. I did feature a camera made in Ireland a while back (The Periflex) and I've somewhere got one made in Wales - a Gnome Pixie, a very basic box camera.<br>

The negatives look quite sharp and contrasty but when scanning it's been my practice to set levels, and apply a low degree of sharpening after resizing to 700 px. Hence the (hopefully) good contrast and sharpness on the screen. Thanks again.</p>