Album Credits in Wedding Packages

<p>I've searched on here for an answer to this question, but have only found some relative information. <br>

I am starting to put wedding packages together for my business. I always see album credits being offered, and I am really wondering, how does the photographer profit from this? I tried to research the best quality albums and most that look really decent are anywhere from $300-500. If you have to buy the album at $500 a pop, and you offer an album credit in the amount of $500, what's the point? I'm sure this sounds like a truly idiotic question, but I just don't get it. Am I missing something??? <br>

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!<br>

-Brenna</p>

<p>I guess you would offer an Album credit, at least I would offer like this. As an example: For $495.99 you can get the ultra photo album with a $150.00 dollar (coupon) album credit for a 150 day on-line site with all your photographs on it for all your friends to view. The idea is if you buy my most expensive package for $495.99 you are going to get this coupon that lets you get a free 150 day website with all your photographs on it. Where as that site might only really cost $4.95 for the photographer and instead of the customer only picking up your 395.99 package they figure well for an extra 100 I can get a 150 dollar credit for a free website. My husband will just love it, or My wife will just love it. I even saved money doing this. That is how the whole Album Credit idea works. It's just a way to try and get people to buy more of what you have and they feel they are getting something for nothing which in photography we photographers know nothing is free.</p>

<p>I found an example of a Photographer selling an 1800.00 package that included a coupon of 15.00 for a free CD with all the photographs you got with the 1800.00 package on it making the CD free. Well, heck for 1800.00 a package and you are now including 15.00 dollar coupon so they can also get a free CD. That's peanuts for you and they feel they got something for free right?</p>

<p>For me this does work a lot of the time. Sometimes though people just don't have the cash to pay for the best of the best and you don't lure them into the better priced package that will earn you more money. No my prices aren't 495.99 but for the example I used a lower figure.</p>

<p>Okay, I'm understanding the logistics of the whole thing a little more... So say my most expensive package costs $3,000. Included among other goods, is a $500.00 album credit included in the package. If the album costs about that anyway, how is this benefiting me? I will hardly profit from the album if at all. If I'm understanding correctly, this idea of "album credits" is just to make the more expensive package more enticing? To make the client feel better about their choice, as you said, like they're getting a deal? <br>

What if the album only costs me $250, or I use a different company and they charge $300, should I constantly be adjusting my packages because of this? I don't want to lie and say they're getting a $500 album if they're not. <br>

And also, do you know what a reputable printing company to go through? For both prints and albums?<br>

Thank you for your feedback!</p>

<p>Well your post prompt me to check out wedding photographers' packages. For example I hit this one site which offer a package of $3250 with 9 hours of work. $150 print credit and $500 album credit. As I understand it the $500 is applicable to the purchase of an album but it doesn't mean the album would cost $500. It could be more but the client has $500 credit toward it.</p>

<p>I understand that they say $150 print credit and $500 album credit. These are credits to be used toward purchasing prints and album. There is nowhere that said how much are the prints and how much is the album. I believe it would be higher because the client can choose not to purchase the album and forfeit the $500 credit. They do not allow to subtract the credit from the package cost.</p>

I think you are misunderstanding the difference between a blank book (album) and a wedding photographer's "album" which consists not only of the book, but the photos and the time spent in the layout, editing and assembly of the album not to mention taking the photos originally.
James G. Dainis